Car Care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

'87 Convertible: Roof care question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Default '87 Convertible: Roof care question

Hi there everyone! Well, a dream of mine since childhood came true just over a week ago.. my wife and I are now proud parents of what is to us the most beautiful '87 red convertible. This car has been very well maintained and we are looking forward to years of motoring enjoyment sans la roof and we fully plan to semi-restore this car to near new condition over time.

I know that there are many opinions on how to properly care for our fabric convertible roofs on these babies, but thought it best to check with the experts... the folks here at Corvette Forums!!

The plastic window says not to use soap on it. I know the roof fabric really does not like detergents either. We had a '97 Camaro Z/28 30th Anniversary drop-top a few years back and I recall roof care was a special process to do it properly.

How do you guys clean your roof come car washing day? Do you use products? A brush on the fabric? We used to use products called Raggtopp on the Camaro and am seriously considering using those products again, but really wanted your expert feedback before diving into all this...

Old 08-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Default RE: '87 Convertible: Roof care question

Well, so far, as a matter of note, we've just been using a nice soft nylon brush and water on the roof, and a wet soft cloth to clean the back window. It's been awesome so far. I think we'll get some of that Raggtopp stuff later this year when the weather turns, but so far the roof appears to be very well maintained with just the materials mentioned above.