Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Roof Recall Question - Yet Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 AM
Default Roof Recall Question - Yet Again

My local dealer took in the C6 for the roof recall 4 weeks ago. They first said they would have it fixed in 3 days, then they said.....maybe longer.

They now claim to have received 4 replacement roofs from GM and all were cracked in shipping.....yes, all 4 of them cracked in shipping! GM can't even ship a piece of plastic?

They have now agreed to supply a glass top until they get a solid uncracked replacement, however, the glass top is "On-Order". It will arrive sometime in the future????

It just seems like a never ending yarn of ridiculous stories. We can fix it, but, fail to do so. We will replace it with a glass top, but, you have to wait.......and wait.

In the meantime the best we can do is loan you a piece of junk to replace your $50K car!

The Service Manager even said that another customer had just traded in his C6 as he was fed up of waiting.

I have zero trust of GM or their dealers right now. This situation is totally unacceptable, and getting out of it is becoming an attractive proposition....i.e. Buy a German car instead!

Question: What is the "real truth" behind the recall.....what is the "real wait time".....what is the real compensation owners should be getting!

I've examined the roof/glue issue myself. It appears the factory applied 4 small blobs of a weak adhesive to the corners, with no other fixings. Surely a small molding change and aluminum bracket would fix the issue for good, combine it with a good adhesive for extra safety.

I'm no expert, but, basic engineering skills seem to be lacking here........which concerns me about the rest of the car as well! What will break next?

When I pay this amount of money for a car it should make me smile......instead it has become a time consuming nightmare!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Default RE: Roof Recall Question - Yet Again

I called my dealer, they ordered the glue kit, they called back in three weeks, made an
appointment for me, and had my car finished in about two hours!
all dealers are not equal !
Ray

Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 AM

It is finally over The 'vette has a new roof, and for now, the world is a good place again.

It took 10 weeks from the date we first sent it to the dealer. They also seem to have finally solved the problem with the battery going flat every 4 days, they couldn't come up with a coherent explanation as to how they fixed that issue???

The dealer is providing a free glass roof as compensation for the problems incurred. Which we are happy with, although we really don't want a spare glass roof, but, I guess we'll find a buyer for it, or keep it stored, just incase the fix for the solid roof doesn't turn out to be long-term! Anyone want a C6 glass roof at a very good price?

Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 PM

Thank God you're all fixed and back in business again!!

Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 AM

Don't be so sure. I had my roof replaced in April and now I need another one. Same problem with the fiberglass separating from the frame. As reported earlier, it seems an engineering disaster. Only four tack points for glue....very shabby. Anyway, the replacement roof lasted six months and now I'm told the wait could be months. I continued to drive for a week with the roof rattling until it opened like a clamshell and nearly flew off. Luckily, I was able to grab it mid air and pull off the road. It lifted off at 40 mph, so be careful.
My dealership is not going to lend me a loaner glass top, although they'll put me in a rental. The thing is, I love my vette and want to drive it. Fortunately, I live in Southern Cal, so daytime cruising is ok. No rain in the next two months......but still, no security, and highway speeds get tiresome with no roof! How do I convince them that this is totally BS and I need a roof today. The GM care people are all sympothetic, but no action. Everything is on "backorder" and there's no glass or painted roofs in sight. I've told them it will be cheaper to give me a glass roof in the meantime, cause the rental will be 4 figures at least. If you're not using your glass top, I'd pay the shipping.......And if this roof peels off in six months I'm thinking lemon law.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: pmahaffey

Don't be so sure. I had my roof replaced in April and now I need another one. Same problem with the fiberglass separating from the frame. As reported earlier, it seems an engineering disaster. Only four tack points for glue....very shabby. Anyway, the replacement roof lasted six months and now I'm told the wait could be months. I continued to drive for a week with the roof rattling until it opened like a clamshell and nearly flew off. Luckily, I was able to grab it mid air and pull off the road. It lifted off at 40 mph, so be careful.
My dealership is not going to lend me a loaner glass top, although they'll put me in a rental. The thing is, I love my vette and want to drive it. Fortunately, I live in Southern Cal, so daytime cruising is ok. No rain in the next two months......but still, no security, and highway speeds get tiresome with no roof! How do I convince them that this is totally BS and I need a roof today. The GM care people are all sympothetic, but no action. Everything is on "backorder" and there's no glass or painted roofs in sight. I've told them it will be cheaper to give me a glass roof in the meantime, cause the rental will be 4 figures at least. If you're not using your glass top, I'd pay the shipping.......And if this roof peels off in six months I'm thinking lemon law.
My heart just sinks to my shoes when I read stuff like this. [] I am so sorry for your troubles, my friend. These ARE the most amazing cars ever designed, but they do seem to have issues at times.... I sincerely hope GM steps up to the plate and does right for you.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 AM

Man what a pain in that A$$, and definately takes the fun out of owning it, but glad to hear your back in business!

Old 11-23-2006, 11:26 AM

is this problem with 05,6 +7 - is there been a recall on the problem ?