Car Care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Help for roof panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Default Help for roof panel

Hello guys, I'm new here so if this is in the wrong place, let me know where to move this to

The problem I'm having with my roof panel is that it looks like it's fading to a white-ish haze. It's a clear tinted acrylic roof and since I've had it, all I've used on it is Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash. Could that maybe be part of the issue? I bought some SwirlX yesterday, thinking that might help some but haven't gotten a chance to try it as it's been raining here since last night. I'll try to get some decent pictures tomorrow if the weather is better. Thanks for your help

Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Default Update

I finally got a chance today to try out the SwirlX on a section of the panel to see if it works. I can see swirls in the panel but the SwirlX didn't really help them. I don't have a picture of that section but this picture clearly shows a white line that's causing me the most concern. It's a bad picture but the line is very visible. I can try to get a better picture but this is the best I could get out of my phone. There seems to be a water spot problem as well, is there a good way to prevent them?

Name:  roof2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  47.4 KB

Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

IMHO, you have a surface degrigation of the acrylic. Most likely caused by the Sun.
Clear coats over paint jobs have the same issue.
You've seen the pealing of the clear coats on paint jobs, and on vehicles only a few years old? The Sun exposure is the cause.
Personally I wouldn't use a clear coat on ANY surfaces exposed to the Sun.
I have no idea how you can rectify the prob.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:58 AM

Thanks, I'm pretty sure you're right about the sun damage. I've been doing some more research and the only fix i've been able to find involves sanding it down with find paper and re-clearcoating then polishing it out. Looks like I'll just be keeping an eye out for a top some time down the road.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Part of the clear coat problems stemmed from when the mfgs went to water-borne paint systems. And it may have been UV related also as it seemed like dark colors were affected the most. Sometimes I think the problem might have been prep related as I saw a couple of cars where the clear coat was coming off in streaks down the flat, top surfaces like racing stripes.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

You must have got that one, eh?
I just sat down and had an e-mail about the post.
I was gonna get 'im, but ya beat me to it.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

It seems like this thread gets several of those guys a week. Been on vacation this week so had a little more time to track the forum. Wished I could get e-mail notice on each new post in the C3 section.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I check my e-mail for responces to threads I subscribe to, then go to "New Posts" and clean house.
I specially like to make a kill while they're on site.
I wonder if a little bomb goes off on their screen. LOL
Kinda like bein' a sniper, they never see it commin', and then they're just gone.
Think about it, you're making a pinpoint shot, basicly anywhere in the world, from your house.
Pretty cool, huh?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Two more shot down.

Over on the Chevrolet Forum, I can apparently subscribe to a section as I get e-mails on all new threads in that section.