Car Care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Default Water Spots

Hey guys, i have had my car for about a year and i clean the car AT LEAST once a week. It always looks great, but recently i have noticed water spots and a dull area on my hood. It doesnt look bad if you arent lookin at it from above, but if you see it while standing right over the car, it is just very dull and doesnt look good at all. I dont know what its from because whenever i wash my car it is always in a shady area, same with waxing it. I dont let water sit on my car long either unless it is rain and then i cant do anything about it because i dont have a garage. I will try to get some pictures on here, but if anyone can imagine what im talking about and offer any advice, i would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 AM
Default RE: Water Spots

If water droplets are allowed to dry on your paint, the minerals left over will etch into the clearcoat and lightly pit it. Even after you clean the hood, these pitting are still visible and thus you have waterspots. A chemical cleaner such as Meguiars' DC1 might remove them if they aren't too severe because the chemical agents will enter the pours of the paint and remove the staining. However if etching has occured, you will need to relevel the surface of your clear coat to remove the etchings. This is done using an abrasive polishing that gemntle abrades the highpoints of the paint around the pitting and makes it level again.

The dull area on your hood may be oxidation, though with out pictures its kinda hard to make that diagnosis. If it is surface oxidation, then the same procedure used to remove the water etchings with also clear up that cloudly layer on the top of your clear coat and let the surface shine through. There are numerous ways to both depending on your skill level and the tools avialable to you. If you have a PC or machine polisher, I would recommend going straight to that. If you want to use your hands I have an idea that may appeal to you.

Go to your autoparts store and pick up some detailer clay (I recommend Blue Magic or Meguiars' QuikDetailer for OTC purchases), Meguiars SCRATCHX, Meguiars ColorX, and some foam applicator pads. Wash your car normally, then use the clay to achieve a contaminent free surface (the waterspots, if they haven't etched the clearcoat should come off). If there is still water spots, then it is time to attack them using ScratchX. This a WOWI product (wipe on, work in). It takes some elbow grease to properly use it.

Apply the product liberaly to the pad and liberaly cover a 12"x12" section with the product. Now work the product against the paint usng alot of passion and back and forth strokes. Your arm should be burning. After the product begins to gum up, wipe away with a clean microfiber. Inspect. If there is still etching, then go again. It can take as much as 3-5 applications in this manor to remove the etchings, but the bonus is you will be removing surface defects such as swirlmarks, cobwebbing, and scratches at the same time. After 5 hard applications, inspect the surface to. If they are still there, then the only way to safley remove them is to consider bringing the car to a professional detailer or investing in a buffer. However, I would imgaine they will be gone.

After you are satisfied with the hood (this should have also removed the cloudiness on the paint also) its time to protect it. The reason I recommend ColorX is because has small amounts of abrasives, polishes and a good wax. It is also a WOWI product, but requires far less agression, just alittle passion when rubbing it on. Apply to the entire hood with a small amount of passion and let dry to a haze. Then wipe off and follow with your favorite wax. I think you will be amazed at the difference, though it will take a little time. Applying ScratchX to the entire hood will probaby take over an hour and maybe even 2 if you do it right. The results will be worth it for a DIYer who isn't willing to invest in a polisher.

Todd Helme

Tropical Detailing

Old 06-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Thanks Todd... I am going to try and do this maybe tomorrow because i have a softball game tonight for work. But if that doesnt work (i hope it does) then i will definately take pictures and post them for you. I appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 AM

I had the same problem with my hood like the top half toward the cowl didn't shine at all. I tried several different polishes and could never get it shining. Ended up putting it in the paint booth this week. Good luck on that hope you can get it polished out a lot cheaper than paint LOL.