Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 1953 through 1967

'66 Roadster and Cragar mags

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 PM
Default '66 Roadster and Cragar mags

Hi Guys -- wondering if any of you have run into an issue with Cragar mags on a '66. All was well (haha) until I tried to mount them on the car - beginning on the front end. Could not bolt them on cos they were hitting the caliper. Calipers are stock. Cragar's solution (after validating the product number of those that had been sent) was the use of a 1/2" spacer. Bought those, yea, and with them in place, the caliper hit issue was cleared, but as you might guess, moving the tire and wheel out that far now causes the tire to hit - on the front passenger side. Shocks and coils (front) all the way around were replaced couple years ago. Front coils are Moog - (their catalog gives you 4 options: small block a/c, without a/c, and big block with a/c, without a/c. Big block without a/c was chosen and installed). Even with those coils, the car still sits lower in front. Likely cause = an additional leaf in the rear. From what I have read, lotsa guys back in the day added a leaf to the rear to remedy a lazy leaf spring.
As an aside - the Cragar's are advertised as ok for 63-67 Vettes. Had a set on a 64 fuelie, (shoe brakes) that were perfect - no spacers. As you all know -- 65 and later have disc brakes.... and Cragar apparently chose to not add a modified version of that wheel to their line. The same product number applies to all the C2's %(*&$$%#@!!!!!!!!!
Have any of you perhaps encountered this the 66-67, and were as goofy as I am - by choosing these Mags?? If so -- how did you get past the rubbing issue, assuming you also encountered it???
BTW - Chose the chrome Cragar's and narrow WW 's for the nostalgia. Any suggestions you might have will be most appreciated!!

Joe

Old 10-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Is the rubbing so bad that you can't just trim a minor amount of fiberglass off on the passenger side. That's what I had to do when I put my American Vector mags on my 73. On the passenger side. I just attributed that due to the fact that the body's plastic and back in those days it was pretty much hand assembled.
Personally not a big fan of wheel spacers due to the extra stress it puts on the wheel bearings and suspension.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Your thought about trimming the fiberglass a bit I believe will be good. I suppose I could go to a smaller size tire -- say 195's perhaps. But truthfully, I just don't like that idea. Like you, I am also not a fan of using the spacers....

Thank you again 73!!!