Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

1970 350 maual viberation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Default 1970 350 maual viberation

ok the last thread did not get far so here it is again but with a different angle. the owner claims the harmonic balancer is good? but he is leaning to the carb. he did a driveway running test and when he covered the mains with his hand it ran smoothly, so now we are leaning towards the q jet. so i sent him a dozen craigslisted q jtes and now he is winning about the numbers not matching. i say any q jet should work for testing? he said the corvette q jets are different. i can't say yes or now to that so i'm asking here. for driveway testing will any q jet bolt on and let the engine run? and maybe even connect to the gas pedal? if not what makes should i look for on craigslist to see if i can find anything that will bolt on and at least driveway test. and if i'm lucky to get at least the gas pedal connected to road test.

this way he can put the carb to bed if it works or not. working then he can get a proper carb not working he can put the old one back and keep looking for the issue. thanks bp

Old 06-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

The best thing for him to do would be to disassemble the carburetor completely and soak it in carburetor cleaner and then rebuild it with a new kit. There are several publications out there that I think we recommended for him that would aid him in this process.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark
The best thing for him to do would be to disassemble the carburetor completely and soak it in carburetor cleaner and then rebuild it with a new kit. There are several publications out there that I think we recommended for him that would aid him in this process.

thanks 73 shark. but i'm afraid that job will wind up in my lap. and to be honest i'm not really into rebuilding his carb. i can do it but i think he needs to just get a new one or new rebuilt from a reputable repair shop. the way he described his issue leaves me to believe he has some plugged up passages and i just want the car in my garage for weeks while he figures out if i rebuilt it good enough for him, this guy thinks everything needs to be brand new shape no matter where he gets it so i let him do his own brand new stuff.

but thanks for the help on this. i sent him a dozen carbs from craigslist to see if they were still around and to see about getting just to test the vibration and his reply was the number don't match, he is hung up on a numbers matching car and i tried to tell him this was just for testing and if the test passed then he can either send out his unit or find a new numbers matching unit.

you have to be here to get the flavor on this. thanks

i was asking if any q jet would bolt onto the 350 engine just so he could do a test run and see if that vibration disappeared. and if it did then he knows what he has to do. spend the big bucks and get him a numbers matching carb. again if i can get that question answered then i may be able to talk him into just getting a used carb to bolt on and test the damn engine. thanks bp.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Best of luck to you on this journey.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:03 AM

yea you have to be here to get the flavor. to be honest i have no idea why i even help him but being were buddies i guess i can't help myself.

he go a 2016 hellcat and bugged the **** out of the dealer because the seat had a wrinkle in the leather the hood decal what off by 1/16" were it meets up with the one on the grill, and the tires vibrated. kind of like his vette. and on his van the paint on the hood had a very small blemish that you had to look twice at to even see it. and that list goes on and on.

we meet for breakfast on sundays and he wins the entire time so to shut him up i fix his **** so i can enjoy my meal. maybe better to find new friends! thanks

Old 06-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I wrenched on my friend's '66 big block roadster for 7 years and he would pick up a tool I just laid down to do something else and put it away and I come back and need it and I have to go back and get it again. And then if we took something off that we weren't going to reuse, he would put it in the trash before I get even see if there was something that I could use later. I guess some people are just that way.