http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...em250135932023

A load of crap? True?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
cwb
Default RE: New carbs...

ORIGINAL: yellow76

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...em250135932023

A load of crap? True?

Feedback looks okay; shop around if you're lookin' to buy.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 AM

I meant about this................

A word about new carburetors
New Holley, edelbrock and demoncarburetors out of the box, while good basic carburetors has some flaws from the factory that does not allow optimum performance or the bestfuel mileage. For example, misaligned ports or gaskets that restrict fuel flow . Accelerator pump shooters too small causing hesitation and leaning out and backfires that can damage your carburetor and engine. Incorrect air bleed sizes. Incorrect jet sizes for your application causes a loss of power and uses more fuel
We completely clean and inspect and correct any problems that Holley can’t see with an assembly line production. We completely hand build andblueprint your carburetorand make sure everything is up to specs. Plus metering blocks are reengineered to get maximum horsepower and fuel mileage.
it's safe to say that no carburetor even new out of a box that’s $100.00 higher will perform the same as the ones from Speed world.
When we go through your carb,we have you fill out a worksheet that gives us the your particular carb's parameters. Besides the engine size, what type of usage the engine will see (percent of drag use versus street use), off-road or marine, launch rpm, nitrous or supercharger, header and collector size, the camshaft duration at .050 vacuum signal at idle, and even the altitude it will be driven in are all given consideration as to how the carb will work in its intended use.
We also run the carb on engine dyno, check the fuel curve, and determine peak performance numbers in a number of categories. You just can't get that type of perfection with a new out of a box carburetor!!!!
But the best info is the fuel pounds-per-hour info, which showed a smooth and consistent transition throughout the rpm range without any spikes or drops in the fuel curve.

Also... what kind of fuel rail am I going to need to connect a new single pump carb? I'm assuming it's not included in the box, and I've got a DP on the car now.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Definitely not BS, but also definitely some good tooting of their horn. Even brand new carbs direct from Holley (Demon, etc.) occasionally have the jets installed a little off, or a gasket shifted a bit or not trimmed properly. This can cause waste. Also, if they are "tuning" the carb for you, you should get the right sized jets, and the mixture should be set correctly. Running rich can waste alot of gas, but the car might appear to run correctly.

You can find the fuel lines and fittings here:

http://www.holley.com/types/Carburet...el%20Lines.asp

Take those part numbers, and look them up on Summit, Jegs, etc. to find your best price. My local AutoZone had the rail kit for my 4150 Holley sitting in the "dress up and performance" aisle for about $20.

bill.