Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

1979 C3 engine swap to 199X LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Default 1979 C3 engine swap to 199X LT1

New to the Corvette Forum.

I have recently aquired a 1979 vette w/ 4 speed and due to some factors beyond my control the engine that comes with it is a 199X LT1. The body is off of the frame and I am currently working to ge the chassis rolling before putting the body back on.

I still need to get the exact numbers off of the engine. The LT1 does have the computer with it but does anyone know any major issues for putting this type of motor into the car. Any issues with the 4 speed mounting to it? And would it be better to try to keep it fuel injection or just replace it with a carb?

I've been looking online but haven't found much info.

Thanks,

Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1979 C3 engine swap to 199X LT1

Welcome to CF!
The change over of the wiring can be a real pain, but I think you'll have no probs with the tranny match up. I feel that the carb would give you less probs.
But hey, I'm stuck in the '60s and '70s as far as equipment goes, so what do I know.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM

ive done the engine swap, in a 74 vette. I have a 700r4 auto though, so don't know on tranny. i think you will be happier with fuel injection (I am). I get over 20mpg on highway and can smoke the tires at will. The easiest thing to do is get a painless wiring harness, and then send your computer off for a cusotm tune from pcm4less. The only issue with the painless harness is it is made for a camaro/ta LT1, which means one less knock sensor. Make sure that your computer tune addresses this. Also, you can delete all the xtra crap from the engine this way (air pump, etc.). For the fuel injection, i used an out of tank pump for ease of install. mounted under passenger door in the fuel line. I bought a set of the hard rubber lines from a salvage yard off of a trans am. used them and some high pressure rubber house fuel injection house to connect to my old lines, and mounted an in-line filter. Problem free, other than a little noise from the pump.

I can provide pictures of mine, and also any info you need. the wires only plug in one way, so really is not so bad. Also, that harness is set up for in car mount, if you go under hood you will have to shorten some wires to keep it looking clean.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM

An issue that I have run into is the difference in flywheels between the older and newer engines. The original flywheel's bolt pattern is a little bigger than the LT1. The bell housing will bolt up and I believe the tranny shaft into the crank will be fine. I'm not sure about the clutch/pressure plate/ flywheel.

Any ideas?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Ya might try www.summitracing.com , that's where I got the complete set. I did buy the flywheel separately.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Well, i went with a newer tranny as well and used the new style flywheel. I also had a new driveshaft made for stability puropose, the stock vette one looked a little thin to me. Don't know about the 6-speeds, but with the automatics the length of tranny has changed also causing the need for a new driveshaft or modification to an exsisting one.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: 1979 C3 engine swap to 1995 LT1

I finally found the date code. The engine seems to be from a 1995 camaro. The transmission bolted up but I'll need to get a new flywheel.

ksvette,

If you have some pics I would appreciate it. I had to take the compressor off, which I knew ahead of time but I had to take off the alterator bracket as well. It was getting hung up on the top-rear a-frame bolt. The main issue is the motor is sitting crooked. I used the original motor mounts and got the bolts in the holes on the frame but when you look at the transmission it is off to the right from the crossmember about 1.5" and the tail shaft is about 1-2" forward of the crossmember.

Did you run into any issues of this time. Are the motormount holes on the newer blocks offset?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM

i have pics of the completed work, and engine on engine stand. Also a few during, but did not take anything that would really work as a "how to." When I get to my home computer will send ya some (can't figure out how to post em on here!)

Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

To put your pics here, click on the "Click here to upload!" at the lower left of the reply box. Then you'll get a box that will let you "browse" your computer for the pic. If you check the "Embed picture in post" box, it will place a thumbnail in your post.

If your pics are on the internet, then click on the "globe with the chain link" and then paste in your url in the new window.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM

ksvette,

I was checking the motor, since it sits crooked, and found that although the original motor mounts will bolt to the block but they bolt in opposite of each other. One side has two bolts at the top and the other side one bolt like it's flipped upside down. Did you run into this issue? Did you use the original vette motor mounts? If not what did you use and how did you get them to work?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1979 C3 engine swap to 199X LT1