Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

1982 CE C3 randomly not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 03:45 PM
Default 1982 CE C3 randomly not starting.

Hi all. Does anyone know what this wire junction is next to the battery? Is it some type of relay?? I believe the orange wire may go to the ECM. If this is bumped or moved it causes the car to not start. I get all dash lights on when I turn on the key. Then it randomly starts. Unless I bump that block where the wires connect or the orange wire itself then it starts right up. My haynes manual has zero info on it. I'll replace the end on the orange wire but want to purchase that junction block or relay. Whatever it is. Thanks!

Last edited by Bellworx; 06-05-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:53 PM

Well I guess it is a junction box. Not sure exactly why it's used though.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

It doesn't look factory to me. In order to figure it out, you're probably going to have to trace out the wiring. Also a Factory Service Manual with the schematics for all the wiring might help.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:21 PM

That's a factory junction block, I have seen them on lots of GM cars you look like you need to do a good cleaning on that one. They were used to simplify wiring harness installation at the factory. Lots of odd features of cars have nothing to do with anything other than speeding up the assembly line.
It would be okay to by pass it if you feel like it.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

While the junction box looks factory, the uninsulated terminations at the end of the wires do not. Would be interesting to know what's on the other end of those wires.

If just bumping it causes changes, then you could probably disconnect all the wires and clean the terminations and the junction block and reassemble.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:48 PM

It's def dirty. I'll remove the battery and lightly sandblast the junction block/bolt. Not sure what type of end should be on the wires but maybe some electrical shrink wrap will help after I recrimp them. The orange wire is only hanging on by a couple strands. Thanks for the help!!

Old 06-01-2022, 11:27 PM

Started new hours at work today. Getting up at 5am opposed to 7am was a fun change lol. Well I dug around the battery compartment and that junction block. I won't know for sure until I get it cleaned but while trying to start the car it would start then wouldn't again. I was very careful not to shake the car or the junction wires while reaching in. But I am starting to think it's the ignition on the column. After turning the tumbler with the key in a few times I heard a clicking sound coming from a little silver box by the jack compartment. After randomly turning the key on/off it started. I had an issue like this with my 69 k10. Ended up being the ignition on the column. Also after looking at the wiring near the steering column floorboard area clearly it was a mess. Wires hanging down, aftermarket radio and an alarm is installed. Sloppy of course. I will be purchasing a shop manual for legit wiring diagrams. Not sure which one to buy.

Additionally the windshield wipers won't turn off regardless of what you do to the headlight/wiper switch. The switch is worn and very loose to turn. I'll just purchase another switch. I noticed they sell 2 different switches. I need the switch with the 2 vacuum ports for the headlights even though I will probably install the electric headlight kit. Currently the headlights will not lift up but do light up.

I have my work cut out for me lol. I don't think I'm too far off though. The car in't in that bad of shape. Just needs some attention to the wiring here and there. And the battery still hasn't died since I installed it this past saturday. I appreciate the replies and suggestions.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

For completeness, I recommend getting the Factory Service Manual. Helm is the publisher and you can probably find one on eBay or aftermarket Corvette suppliers also sell them.

As you may know, the actual ignition switch is on the lower end of the steering column.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark
For completeness, I recommend getting the Factory Service Manual. Helm is the publisher and you can probably find one on eBay or aftermarket Corvette suppliers also sell them.

I ordered an original gm factory manual from feebay.

As you may know, the actual ignition switch is on the lower end of the steering column.
10/4 👍🏻 I am all too familiar with the ignition location. 1 thing that is new is the lack of room in the floorboard getting too it lol. Thanks again!

Old 06-02-2022, 12:10 PM

I found it very helpful to lower the column down on my '73 to get at that switch.

Quick Reply: 1982 CE C3 randomly not starting.