Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

2 core vs. 4 core radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default 2 core vs. 4 core radiator?

Been lookin' at some aluminum rads. Any advise on a 2 core vs. a 4 core?
It'll be goin' in front of a 454, and have dual electric fans.
Summer temps are in the high 90's and low 100's.
Very little ( if any ) in town driving.
Well......?

Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2 core vs. 4 core radiator?

All my experience is with the old fashioned radiators(painted copper and tin)and I really don't know about aluminum. I has been my experience that a 4 core for a big block is best, but like I said aluminum dissipates heat better than copper, tin or plastic, and the duel electric fans are most likely better than the old water pump mounted type. Maybe we need to find out what volume of water needs to be cooled to what temp and time in the radiator, for the motor not to over heat and match that to the correct radiator. If it was me, I'd go for a four core but you know me...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.You only punched the block .30 over right? so that shouldn't create any thin wall heating problems. Does the radiator manufacturer have any recommendations? Your big block shouldn't run to hot I wouldn't think. I'm on it brother. Cheers

Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

[*]http://www.radiator.com/article-radiator-myths.html[*]?????[*]Aluminum is always better. The fact is: copper, brass, and lead all have better heat dissipation properties than aluminum. Many cars will get no benefit from using an aluminum radiator. The weight reduction won't make a difference for larger vehicles with low-horsepower engines. Aluminum is also more susceptible to acid corrosion.

I thought it was the other way around.....[sm=smiley22.gif]

Old 11-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Why take a chance? I know that BBCs in Corvettes tend to run hot, especially in slow moving traffic due to it being a bottom breather. Also I found out when replacing the core in my '87 IROC, that you don't paint aluminum radiators. Not sure why as I thought black was the best color for radiating heat.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Might be something here.

http://fluidyne.netgarage.net/viewto...;forum=1&1

Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Blueshark;
Those sites are some good starts. I'm seeing a trend here, and it ain't towards aluminum.

73shark;
My understanding is that if you paint any radiator, you actually place a "radiation barrier" on the surface of the radiator. The bare metal will transfer/dissipate the heat better.

Oh ya, My BB is bored .30 over.
I've been lookin' at Dewitts, they have a great package, but then again, it's an aluminum radiator. I need to dig deeper, and at other suppliers.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Banned

I had long time overheating issues with my car and I had a BRAND NEW 4 CORE COPPER/BRASS radiator in it. I tried everything to get it to run cool, but the one item that fixed all my cooling problems was the aluminum radiator. The Copper/Brass unit could not shed heat fast enough and temps would slowly rise to the critical point. The aluminum unit does not have that problem, my engine temps are consistent no matter what the driving conditions, even with the A/C on! I also paid less for the Alum. rad. than I did for the Copper/Brass one 2 years ago - go figure.....

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 AM

First off all radiators only have 1 core!! but can range from 1-4 ROWS sorry was beat into my head when i worked at a radiator repair shop as a kid!!
my 68 had the 454 in it with a 4 row copper/brass rad. and ran about 190 degrees on real hot days, i think aluminum ones are over rated.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Good point. So change my question to.....
2 row vs. 4 row cores.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 AM

Go with a 4 row aluminum unit. I have one in the 69 Camaro and the 69 Vette. I have never had an overheating problem. It gets between 90 and 102 in the summer with 90% humidity. The Camaro never gets over 200 and the Vette never gets over 205 even sitting in traffic. I have a Weiand high flow aluminum water pump and dual spals with a custom shroud to ensure that the fans are pulling the maximum amount of air available (Same setup on both cars). With a Vette the proper installation of the chin spoiler and all of the seals in front of and around the radiator are even more important than the typeof radiator that you use. Air will flow through the path of least resistance. Theplacement of the Corvette radiator is notin itself condusiveto proper air flow.If you don't have the seals in place the air will flow across the face of the radiator and around it, not through it.

Quick Reply: 2 core vs. 4 core radiator?