Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

2 core vs. 4 core radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2 core vs. 4 core radiator?

ORIGINAL: 1969 L46
With a Vette the proper installation of the chin spoiler and all of the seals in front of and around the radiator are even more important than the typeof radiator that you use. Air will flow through the path of least resistance. Theplacement of the Corvette radiator is notin itself condusiveto proper air flow.If you don't have the seals in place the air will flow across the face of the radiator and around it, not through it.
Very true. Saw a BBC once that the owner was complaining about overheating and saw that he not didn't have most of the seals, he also had no fan shroud.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Please check out this link. It explains the benefits of alum. vs. copper/brass radiators. Basically it has to do with greater surface area for cooling. I can not stress enough how much I resisted buying an aluminum radiator. I had just installed a brand new brass/copper 4 ROW (not core) radiator and justifiably thought all should be well. Then I purchased water wetter, nope still nfg. Then it was a bunch of different thermostats, still ng. Then it was a Stewart High Flow Water Pump, better but still not enough. Then it was all new radiator support and shroud seals, still overheating. Then it was back to a stock chin spoiler, no change at all. I also replaced the thermostat several times and learned about matching the temperature sending unit to the temperature gauge - lots of us have bogus readouts on our temp. gauges due to aftermarket sending units. I used an Infra Red heat gun to confirm engine temperatures, I would stop on the side of the road and raise the hood and take readings with the I.R. gun to get an idea of what the real temperatures were. I am telling you - I chased this problem down through 5 different engine installations. The biggest factor in the solution all along was an aluminum radiator!

Hopefully I can save you some grief, but if you INSIST on a copper/brass 4 ROW radiator I will happily sell you mine for cheap - it's almost brand new and in really good shape!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Here's the link - some good quick reading!

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/whyaluminum.asp

Old 11-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

O.K., here's one that I found.

[/align]
Zoom [/align]
Silla Radiator 1977-1982 Chevrolet Corvette [/align][/align]Premium Replacement Radiator, 4 Row, Engineered For Quality, Manufacturer's Limited Lifetime Warranty
[/align][/align][/align]
Eligible for FREE SHIPPING[/align][/align][/align][/align]

FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS)
[align=center]SKU[/align]
[align=center]PRICE[/align]
[align=right]QTY[/align]

1977-1982 Chevrolet Corvette[/b]
SILLA9179
$164.48

[/align][*][/align]
1980: 5.7L, V8 With Heavy Duty Cooling[/align][/align][/align]
[align=right] [/align][/align]
Since '80 C3's didn't come with BB's, I can't get an exact match up. Any one have any info as to wheather an early '70's BB rad would fit my'80?
Note that they list the 5.7 V-8 only. ( I hate the designation. It's a 350, so why not say so. )

Here's what they show for a BB.

[/align]
Zoom [/align]
Silla Radiator 1973-1976 Chevrolet Corvette [/align][/align]Premium Replacement Radiator, Engineered For Quality, Manufacturer's Limited Lifetime Warranty
[/align][/align][/align]
Eligible for FREE SHIPPING[/align][/align][/align][/align]

FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS)
[align=center]SKU[/align]
[align=center]PRICE[/align]
[align=right]QTY[/align]

1973-1976 Chevrolet Corvette[/b]
SILLA0478
$207.12

[/align][*][/align]
1973: 7.4L, V8[/align][/align][/align][/align][*][/align]
1973: 5.7L, V8[/align][/align][/align]
[align=right] [/align][/align]

Old 11-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Another site I found, www.radiator.com , has very good info on rads. They were able to get me in touch with a local supplier.
According to them, the dimentions of the rad for a '74 BB, will fit my '80.
I'm going tothe local supplier on Monday, to inspect the rad available. A 4 row, copper/brass. Not saying I'm buying, but I want to look at it.

BTW, DV8, I have considered Dewitts very strongly. I just want to look around a bit. I'm in no hurry, so I want to do research. Thanks for the link.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Dave, the $200 price is very attractive when you compare to Dewitts, Griffin, Be-Cool, ect. I ordered a 4-row copper on-line and when it arrived I was very unhappy to see the chinese box, I really should have sent it back. It went in ok other than the lower hose was about an 1/8 inch from a bracket, got the grinder out and massaged the bracket. I'm still running the stock 350 but I put this radiator in to handle the stroker that will take it's place. Find out if the new unit's that your looking at come with the proper cushions, if not you'll have to round those up also, I used stock 4-row cushions and it sits properly.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Ya mention the $200, and Chinese. Dang, I hope not, but at that price it prob is Chinese. If it is, ain't no way I'd put it in. TheChinese products of today, are worse than the Japanese products of the '50's.
Nuthin' personal, O.K.? I just ain't about to put a Chinese rad in an American legend. I'm to the point at which I won't knowingly buy anything if it ain't made in the USA. I've got5 G-kids, and Wally World is def out this year. All the recalls and all.Almost all their toys are Chinese made. [:@](...and a lot of othercraptoo [:'(])
Money is not the issue, quality is.

The old saying,....
"Ya get what ya pay for."

Dewitt's combo is goin' to set me back about a "G".

Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 PM

I like how you think man, no need to apologize to me. I'd go with the Dewitts or Be-Cool set-up as they can put together the package you'll need to get the job done. You never know, I might end up doing the same once I plant the hotter mouse in the engine bay.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

This is the radand twin elec fan set from Dewitts. Basicly "plug and go".

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=416

Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Remember this picture? This is a universal fit 19" x 31" aluminum radiator, $160.00 online plus $20.00 shipping. The only modifications needed were a stainless steel flex hose for the bottom hose and a little grinding to the top left radiator hold down bracket. Other that that it just slipped right in!
Name:  100_2557.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  141.3 KB

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Here's the finished installation, stock shroud, fan and all. Stays real cool too!

Name:  100_2621.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  107.7 KB

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Banned

$920.00 ????

WOW !!!!

I'll add a nice 2650 CFM electric fan with electric fan controller to the southwest unit for another 175.00 - that is still only a fraction of the 900 ++

Hmmm..... 350 vs. 920

both aluminum, both with electric fans....

hmmmm.....

Quick Reply: 2 core vs. 4 core radiator?