Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

73 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Default 73 Tires

Next! I've got all Uniroyal 255/60 15's tires on stock rims. The front tires rub when I do a drastic turn. (I know, I know... don't do any drastic turns.) Anyway, it looks like the fronts should not have such a wide tire to prevent this rub. So, I asked a local tire shop about replacements for the fronts. The tires are all new and I don't want to have to buy two more rear tires. He suggested 235's for the front. Now, here's the rub (pun intended): The Uniroyals I have in the rear don't have a matching 235/60 for the front. They do make a 235/70, a 225/70 and a 245/60 though. I want to tone down the width of the fronts, but have the heights look as close to the same as possible. Anyone have any suggestions on what worked for you? Thanks!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 AM

Mike,
I don't have a size remedy. I did realize the last two times that I bought tires f/ my '81 that the selection of tires f/ the stock rims is getting smaller and smaller, not many options anymore. So many of the new high speed tires aren't made in our size. Some day in the future, I'm going to go to a bigger rim/lower profile tire combo so that I have a greater selection of rubber f/ my C3. But I for sure won't go w/ TOO low a profile tire where the car rides any harder-the very thing I avoid, as the '81 rides stiff enough w/o making it worse w/ no sidewall to speak of.
I know that the car looks good w/ bigger tires, but a set of quality tires in the stock size, that wouldn't rub, is probably the way to go. IMO.
I know this isn't an answer to your question, but just a thought on the topic.
GOOD LUCK w/ the situation.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM

I bought a used minivan that the prior owner put 20" rims on with low profile tires. The thing ran like a tank and felt every bump in the road. I took off those wheels and went back to nearly stock setup and it runs so nice and smoothly. The car only had 14K miles on it but I had to replace the brakes when changing those wheels because the 20" wheels ate the brakes. I couldn't get over how heavy those rims and tires were.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

I think your tires aren't too wide/big, your wheels have the wrong offset or backspacing. I run 255-60/15 and just had to trim a little off the turn-in behind the front end of the driver's side rocker trim. Autocrossing would induce a minor amount of frame rub but not during normal driving. Wheels are 8.5" w/ about -1/2" offset.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Default 73 Tires

are there any american made mountain bike tires? i know stans makes some tires now and they seem to make most of there product here but i could not find it on there site.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bistinaws
are there any american made mountain bike tires? i know stans makes some tires now and they seem to make most of there product here but i could not find it on there site.

I'm thinking, and I may be wrong, that you'd have just alittle trouble in hard turns and/or hard acceleration out of turns w/ the mountain bike tires on the 'Vette. I am sure you'd be the only guy on the block w/ that type of tire on your 'Vette. A "Ripley's believe it or not" topic. LOL. Sorry, just couldn't resist.