Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

80 vette console trim plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Default 80 vette console trim plate

Hi everyone! New to corvettes and this forum. I'm sure this question has already been asked at some point but does any one know how to remove the emergency brake console cover and the console trim plate that surrounds the shifter, ac unit, ashtray etc, on an 80 vette. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Default RE: 80 vette console trim plate

Hey, I'm looking for the same information. I need to replace a power window switch I think and started taking the console pieces out. Four screws in the top, radio *****, pulled the top console out, then took the carpet screws out on the side and slide the carpet down as much as I could. there are two screws beside the seats about half way down ( this was almost impossible to reach but made it out on the driver's side). There are two 11/16 bolts on both sides, one in front and one in back by the seat. There are also four screws around the shifter. After taking most the screws out I could not get to the passenger side of the carpet peice right beside the seat and quit for the day. I thought about taking the seats out as they need recovering anyway but didn't see way to get to the bolts under the car. It has been a six hour experiment so far. I hope someone else gives you an easy way to get the console out.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:29 AM

Hello, I just did this on a 81 last week. I need to fix the heater control so I took the dash gauges and radio
out along with the shifter column cover. take the side carpet out first. 3 screws each side. front, (easy) middle, take seat
custiion out, and back. The back you may get by moving the seat all the up and tilting the back of the seat. I took my
seats out. The driver seat has 4 nuts on the bottom of floor pan. The passager seat you remove from inside the car , 4
bolts, 1/2 socket. If you pull the center dash plate there are 2 bolts under radio that bolt to the shifter plate cover. You get them
from the remove carpet area. If you pull shifter plate there are 4 screws that hold the boot so you can get to the shift indicator.
You can remove the parking plate cover without removing the rest as you have to get to two bolts that go into the shifter cover
anywhy. Jay

Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Fuller,

I don't know if you got your seats out yet, but if you haven't here's how I did mine. I have a 1980 and had to replace the carpeting. The seats are held down by four nuts and washer 9/16" if I remember correctly. Two in the front and two in the back. I found it easier to move the seat forward, before removing the rear nuts. After removing the four nuts and washer the seats will come right out. As far as the power window switch replacement, I also had to replace mine. I found that by moving the seats all the way up I could remove the side carpet panel screws. Then I slid the seat back and removed the other screws. Once I did that the carpet panel slid out and I removed the power window swith using an offset phillip head srewdriver. Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:01 PM
pg

Your getting there:
#1 pull the seats out (AS jdebrock said)
#2disconnect the battery.
#3take out all the screws- then to remove the rear console- take out everything in the rear storage compartment and remove it- now you'll find a bolt that holds the hand brake ( rear console ) in place. remove it and you can remove that console.
#4to remove the shifter console- remove the two screws (one on the left & one on the right)on the front console. attatched to the bottom of the center guage cluster (under the radio) are two small nuts. Remove those nuts and pull the shifter console out. Have fun.