Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Center console removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Default Center console removal

Anyone have any experience removing the center console? Are there any unusual
things to look for or be concerned about that someone with good mechanical skills
couldn't figure out as-they-go? The mrs managed to put a scrape on it that went
through the paint, so I need to remove it, repair it and reinstall. (Curious why GM
didn't clearcoat it or use something more durable - the silver paint doesn't actually
match the exterior, either.)

Thanks.

'rider.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Default RE: Center console removal

I removed the console on my C5 once upon a time and don't remember anything particularly difficult to it.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:27 AM

Okay, here's what I found:

- removal isn't that bad *IF* you take your time and don't hurry.

- during removal, there are no obvious sources for scratches on the upper trim if you need to move it about (gently) to gain access underneath. Watch it as you manipulate to assure nothing is in danger of excessive rubbing. (Mine saw none even as I moved it a significant amount up/down, side/side).

- loosen and remove every screw/bolt you see. Look carefully for them all. They are ONLY on the console area between the seats. There are none around the vents, upper area, stereo/nav or A/C controls holding the trim in place.

- there are lots of wires/harnesses, switches and such inside the console. Be careful about yanking on things until you see where everything under there goes. As well, at least one harness snakes under there with a bit of slack built in, but uses a simple clip to secure the slack. Easy to disengage/reengage this if you locate it before you start tugging. Look for it, it's all obvious.

- it's not necessary to remove the arm rest/center storage area at the same time that you remove the console trim around the A/C, radio/nav and vents, but it helps (makes it easier to see under the center console for the little things that are attached in there).

- removing items like the lighter (under the arm rest), the traction control button, etc can be a pain, and appear to be easy to break if you don't have the patience to figure them out. They're not too complicated, just a pain to access to remove. Everything is plastic, and can be broken if you don't take the time to see how they're put together. However, since they are all plug-type, you should be able to unplug them without removing the actual switches/buttons/jacks. Just figure out how the plug is secured (usually some form of plastic clip-over-hook) and be careful not to break them off. They're somewhat brittle. If you are like me, though, and repainting and clearcoating the center trim, you will have to disassemble them later once the center console is out. Be sure to leave that for when it's outside the car - you'll have a better view to remove them without damage.

- the boot that goes around the parking brake is held on with little clips that release with light-to-medium tugging. Pull gently around the outside edges and you'll locate where the clips are. There are no screws securing it. Pull it up and around the handle once unsecured - it won't go over the handle and won't come completely off - it doesn't get in the way of removing the trim at all.

- the shifter boot doesn't actually connect with anything on the trim. It stays behind when the center console is removed. Look around and you'll see it's easy to move out of the way. However, you may have to be careful once everything is loose and you're ready to remove the console trim - moving the shift lever as needed is necessary, both manual and automatic.

- the trim around the shifter, and cup holder trim are attached to the center console by plastic pins having been flared, as well as a few carefully placed screws from underneath. The console underside has small plastic pins formed during manufacture, over which the trim pieces were inserted, and these were flared over to hold them in place. To remove them, you'll have to either snap these flares and use an adhesive later to reattach them, or use some form of hot iron (ie. heated knife/screwdriver, etc) to soften the melted and flared pins and release the trim. I opted to snap them and reattach using a good plastic adhesive. This permitted complete stripping of the center trim panel, necessary for me to resurface it. Note: once completed and reassembled, the finish was easy to make superior to stock. Everything goes together very well, and it's not difficult to do by any means.

- the entire upper area is secured with spring-type clips. Once the lower portion is unscrewed, carefully work up and forward, working the console on each side to allow the clips to come out. There are no protuberances to worry about (ie. plastic pins) that you'll break. You don't need to loosen the upper dash (though I did loosen the foot panel on the passenger side. Not really necessary, but I had to look around to be sure first). As well, I unnecessarily loosened the portion on the driver's side below the steering wheel (from the center console out towards the driver's door) to be sure there were no screws/bolts underneath - there weren't. Clearance gained ultimately was unnecessary, and not required during reassembly.)

- once the lower portion of the console is released, and you can work the upper portion loose, the wires to the emergency lights and the heater controls are fairly easy to release. Removing the vents and other hardware from the back of the upper center console is a no brainer.

The overall time required for me was about 2 hours, taking my time. Knowing what I know now I'd imagine I could do it in about 15 minutes. Assembly was extremely easy, and took about 30 minutes, even being extremely careful and having to install the armrest, driver's side lower steering wheel trim, and passenger's side leg trim. It's simple.

If you DO disassemble it, for whatever reason, consider cleaning it up and clearcoating it while it's off. Or, do like I did and completely repaint and clearcoat it. GOOD clearcoat. Ultimately we owners have to admit that it's not all that well surfaced for durability from the factory, as-is. My work on it repaired scratches and discoloration of the surface (from attempts to thoroughly clean it), and has proved to be extremely tough and easy to maintain. Next are the pods on each side of the driver's dash. Shouldn't be too tough, I hope....

Laters.

'rider.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:36 PM

contact your local chevy dealer or go to the website, they sell colormatched bezzels there. its easy to remove the old one without having to be so careful and slap on the new shiny colormatched one....dont have pics of mine, but ill get them for you to see....

Old 12-21-2006, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: splmagic1

contact your local chevy dealer or go to the website, they sell colormatched bezzels there. its easy to remove the old one without having to be so careful and slap on the new shiny colormatched one....dont have pics of mine, but ill get them for you to see....
Beautiful car. Did you know you can embed a photo into the post?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/AE2B58C39CBB453988155D38AFD03D38.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 PM

how do you embed them?