Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

big 79 vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: big 79 vibrations

ORIGINAL: riley6riley

I was looking around under the car and saw that there is a piece of rubber that looks like it is hanging out on the harmonic balancer....maybe the problem.
Yup, I would bet on it.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 PM

I have looked all over (web and advance auto parts) and cannot find a crank seal. I see in the manual on how to take it out of the timing chain cover but I do not know where to buy one. I bought a timing chain cover gasket set and it did not come with it. Any ideas?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
pg

Advance Auto has it, look at Mr. Gasket part # 18.
PG.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:42 AM

I see. It was right in the kit that I bought. I hope I do better changing it out. Maybe I need new glasses. Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Well, this turned out to be a big job (changing the harmonic balancer). Drained the radiator, drained the oil, took off the fan, the fan shroud, water pump, timing chain cover and dropped the oil pan. Got the timing chain cover back on and the oil pan back on and saw that the fuel pump is leaking. Might be the gasket so I am going to change the whole fuel pump out while I got it off (it looks like the original fuel pump). Hopefully it will all get back togother tomorrow if I can remember where everything went and it will not leak and I should have it ready to drive this weekend. I will keep all posted.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 PM
pg

Thanks for the progress report, sounds like your repair is moving along. Youll be back on the road in short order. PG

Old 01-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Be sure to use an installer to put the new balancer on. If you drive it on w/ a big hammer, it will/could ruin it as it will affect the bond between the rubber and the outer ring.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 AM

I used a rubber mallet to get it part way on and then used the center bolt to pull it the rest of the way on. I really hope all this works because I would hate to pull all this stuff of to try again. First time doing all this my self and it seems to be working out all right. If it wasn't fun, I would pay someone to do it but it is pretty interesting doing it your self and actually succeeding.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 AM

Dealing w/ the item needed to be repaired usually isn't the hard part, it's the removing everything needed to get at it. It's fun dealing w/ the repair of the item, but the prep is a great percentage of the job. Like painting a car, spraying the paint is a "ball." But preping the car properly f/ paint is about 90 percent of the job, and the prep is what makes or brakes the final outcome. Glad that you're "getting into" the 'Vette and hope all comes out well f/ you. It is also tougher when someone else has done extensive work on a car that you buy, as it's sometimes hard to tell if something has worn out, or whether that last someone installed a partincorrectly or installed a defective (new or used) part and just left it like that. Some people are more responsible than others when it comes to repairing even their own car. Good Luck.
ORIGINAL: riley6riley

Well, this turned out to be a big job (changing the harmonic balancer). Drained the radiator, drained the oil, took off the fan, the fan shroud, water pump, timing chain cover and dropped the oil pan. Got the timing chain cover back on and the oil pan back on and saw that the fuel pump is leaking. Might be the gasket so I am going to change the whole fuel pump out while I got it off (it looks like the original fuel pump). Hopefully it will all get back togother tomorrow if I can remember where everything went and it will not leak and I should have it ready to drive this weekend. I will keep all posted.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:52 AM

You did good!
On a Chevy small block the rear main bearing is the one that takes the thrust(front and back movement) of the crankshaft and a little beating on the crank goes a long way! The rubber mallet is good for saving the item your hitting but the shock goes on down the shaft. We're going to say(fingers crossed,eyes crossed,legs crossed,whatever) that the amount of persuasion you applied to the dampener stops just short of the amount needed to destroy the bearing. Often you can't get the dampener on far enough to use the stock bolt to pull it on,but a longer bolt and an assortment of thick washers works well.
Enough doom and gloom! Isn't it the greatest feeling to have fixed something yourself? WAYTOGO Riley!
Ron

Quick Reply: big 79 vibrations