Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Broke a motor mount today.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 PM
pg
Default Broke a motor mount today.

Haven't had the car out for a while but it was dry today so off I went, got about 5 miles away and when the light changed i floored it. Wow, what is that noise? Took a look under the hood and the left side of the motor lifts up and the fan hits the shroud. Drove slowly to auto zone and back home. PG.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Default RE: Broke a motor mount today.

It's hard to keep all that Chevrolet horsepower corralled.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that's not good....[]
We used to chain the mounts, block to frame, when I raced oval track. Not that I'm suggesting ya do that, just somethin' we used to do.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Well now pg, still think that performance calculator is overly optimistic? Sounds like your "Vette is ready to show you her stuff! You were lucky too!. Last time I broke a motor mount, the motor lifted up and the fan bit into the upper radiator hose and tore a nice chunk out of it!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

C'mon - you know you want to! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. How difficult is it to repair?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 PM
pg

Not to hard, looks like just 3 bolts, Auto zone said they will have it tomorrow, just hope it's not 20* over the weekend. Like dv8 said could have been worse, could have torn up the fan, rad shroud and who no's what else. Saw the post from a newbe, said his car has problems, they all have problems! PG.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

PeeeeGeeeeee, What happend to the Vette? ...Ok that's it!...give me the keys and go to your room....I'm keepin' them till you learn to appreciate the things you have and you bet I'm tellin' your mother. .....Honey!,....do you know what your son has done now......?

Seriously though....that blows, but like was said, it could have been worse. hope you get her fixed up right quick. Cheers

Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Be sure to get the mounts that are interlocking so that when the rubber or the bond lets go, it restrains the motor from moving very much. You are going to replace both, right?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

yeah pg, 73shark has you half way there. I mean, look at it this way, you already have one motor mount off, just take off the other one and.....

Seriously though, good luck getting the new mount in, they can be ornery sometimes. Do you have a bottle jack? For tweaking the motor as you try to line up the bolt holes.

Here's to sending fair weather your way!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM

pg,
Just one of the costs of standing in the gas. Was the mount in good condition to begin with? "C3" told you what first came to my mind. By chaining the mounts tight enough (welding the piece of chain to the frame and the block-side of the motor mount, you can take some of the strain off of the mount, and if the mount trysto fail, the chain will keep the engine from lifting and doing any damage. This was always one of the basic applications on drag cars and everyone's street and strip cars when I was into that. "73shark" gave you good advice ongetting a type of mount that won't allow total failure.
You're lucky that the car didn't get away from you as I personally know of two situations (two friends)where a driver side motor mount broke which pulled the gas pedal to the floor by pulling the linkage tight and also pulling the shift linkage tight where the car couldn't be pulled out of gear, a '66 Buick Electra 225 and a '62 Impala. The thing to do is to turn the key off, but some people either panic or don't have the time to turn it off. You don't have to put the pedal to the floor when the mount is busted for this to happen as from some throttle, the engine will tilt which gives more throttle and inturn more engine tilt, they feed each other until the thing is pegged and takes off on the person. When I heard about these two things happening, I, along with a bunch of other guys, laughedmy *** off, but no one had been hurt. Letterman, in the Buick, hit a parked car and Dennis turned the car off. Better to learn the lesson on this site. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broke a motor mount today.