Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

broken hood release cable - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Default broken hood release cable - HELP!

Guys/Girls:
this is my first post here, I found the site through a search engine. I need help with my '70 454, which I have started working back into shape after being stored for years.

I went to open the hood, and the release cable pulled completely out without releasing the latch. Judging by the length of the new replacement, it must be broken on the engine compatrment side of the firewall. I've gotten underneath, but haven't been able to see/find anything that makes me think I can release it from the bottom.

I'm hoping to find another car locally that I can open the hood and look in from the top, but until then, I was hoping someone could give me some hope / help / suggestions. I've got a sinking feeling that I'm screwed, blued, and tattooed. Any input?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hanging around here and learning alot. Taz

Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Default RE: broken hood release cable - HELP!

Oh man, that sucks!!! I was just talking to a local 'Vette guy about that exact same thing on my C4 this weekend.. for the C4, he said you had to pull the fenders off etc. In other words, on a C4, ya gotta start by pulling the external body parts off the car... said it could take 6 hours or so to get in again... I hope this isn't the case for you, and please don't go startin' to pull fenders off the car until someone else responds here who definately knows more than me, but I thought I'd mention it in passing.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:53 AM

Remove your drivers side vent grille and you should be able to reach up in there to release the latch. Good luck. Let us know when you get it open.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:24 AM

thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try when I get some time this weekend. The car has Hooker headers and sidepipes, so access may be limited, but we'll give it a go. I'll post results. My assembly manual just came in the mail today, as soon as I get it into a binder I'll go through it and see if there's any pointers. tgw

Old 08-06-2006, 01:52 AM

taz, both midamerica and corvettecentral sell a device soley for your predicament!!!

Old 08-06-2006, 11:43 PM

Hey Taz

I have a 78 and I have the same problem but the drivers side will pop open but not the passenger's. Well I have been searching the forums to see if I could fix my problem. I ran across a old thred I am going to try you might give it a look. I found it on page 13 of this forum it was posted by wifes81. And DaveWJunior replyed and looks like he may have the answer both of us are looking for. If you cant find the post let me know. I am going to try what he is saying to. I will let you know if it works.

Eroc

Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 AM

I broke my hood latck cable and the way I got it opened was by hooking the latch with a wire from under the car. The passenger side was easy as I don't have factory air. I mproved the design by shortening the new cable and replacing the cheap plastic cable clamps with steel parts.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 AM

How does this device work?

Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 AM

milovet,
i am not for certian, by appearances it is simply a bent metal rod that seemingly one could manipulate the latch from the top by holding at a certian angle..........it kind of looks like a bent tire patch tool!!??!!

Old 08-13-2006, 07:53 PM

the saga continues......after reading the above, noticed that the plug removal / latch access is for the passenger side. But, last night at a cruise in a nearby town, I was able to look at a 73, and noticed that there was a plug on the driver's side, which would allow me access to the latch to be able to manually trip it.

With high hopes, I went out while ago, but on my '70, there is no such plug on the driver's side. I'm going to contact Corvette Central tomorrow and see about the tool mentioned above.

Stay tuned..............

Quick Reply: broken hood release cable - HELP!