Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

broken hood release cable - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Default RE: broken hood release cable - HELP!

Here's a couple links for you guys to check out................I have NO idea how any of these work, but its worth a shot! The first link is a universal emergency tool, the second says its for newer vettes, but I bet with a little enginuity you guys can put it to use!!

http://store.rescuetoolman.com/5001.html

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1100

Hope this helps,

Kyle

Old 08-15-2006, 12:22 AM

I'm down to my last and next to last option. I got a reply from Corvette Central today, and the tool they have (mentioned above) is for the 84-96's, so it appears to be the same as the one Kyle put in in a link. Milovet said his broke and he was able to hook the latch from underneath; I'm going to try that but it may be hard as I've looked and can't even see it due to having Hooker headers and sidepipes. If THAT doesn't work, I guess it goes to a buddy's body shop and let the guys who have a whole lot more experience, and most likely more patience, take a stab at it. Besides, it's got a couple small spots that need some paint so that might be the best approach anyway.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Stick around and see how they get it open and let us know. I know my time is probably comin'. I just might change the cables now to prevent the prob from catching me off guard.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: taz7nads

I'm down to my last and next to last option. I got a reply from Corvette Central today, and the tool they have (mentioned above) is for the 84-96's, so it appears to be the same as the one Kyle put in in a link. Milovet said his broke and he was able to hook the latch from underneath; I'm going to try that but it may be hard as I've looked and can't even see it due to having Hooker headers and sidepipes. If THAT doesn't work, I guess it goes to a buddy's body shop and let the guys who have a whole lot more experience, and most likely more patience, take a stab at it. Besides, it's got a couple small spots that need some paint so that might be the best approach anyway.
God, the hair on the back of my neck stood up from reading this post. Holy Toledo. Best of luck, my friend, and please let us know how it all turns out.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 PM

WOOOOO HOOOOO!!! Cover me, we're going in! Hood is open! I had given up, and had a friend come get it with a wrecker to take it to a local body shop, as mentioned above. Long story short, one of the guys got up under it while it was lift up HIGH with the wrecker, and was able to work his hand up past the master cylinder (on the out or fender side) and pull the lever that toggles forward and trips the latch. Once open and looking at it, I'm pretty sure that it could have been done by going through the hole in the firewall on the passenger side, because the two are connected - trip one, and the other trips. But, I never could get in there and hit the right spot. I will paint the underside of the lever white so it will be easy to find if it ever happens again.

Anyway, it's open, I'm in, and can now start working on getting it busted off after sitting covered up in my garage for 20+ years. When I get it back (he's fixing a couple of small, minor spots while he has it) I'll try to post some pix if someone can tell me how.
Car is a 1970 390 hp LS5 454, original motor / trans, w/ chrome Hooker headers and sidepipes. Even after being asleep for 20 years, it still looks pretty sharp. Now, just to make it run..................thanks to everyone for all the help / suggestions / encouragement.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM

Rock 'n ROLL! So glad to hear you're back in business!!

Sure, I can help you with posting pictures, my friend. I won't be here till Monday again, takin' a few days off to recoup from the last few weeks of mayhem here at work, but if you drop me a PM I'll certainly be MORE than happy to help you out as best as I can next week! [8D]

Old 08-26-2006, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Hey,
Congrats.
A '70, 454 Vette, just sittin in your garage for, 20 years?
I don't know how you could do it. I couldn't.....I have to play with my toys!!!

Old 08-27-2006, 05:47 AM

actually, it's 20 PLUS years. The license plate on the back has a 1984 registration sticker, and the inspection sticker was 1983. It's called buying a house, having a couple of kids, paying for other toys, etc. Now, it's the Vette's turn to play......

Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

My hat's off to you for being able to hang on to 'er all these years. I'm sure you will be rewarded!

Old 09-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

You wouldn't have been able to do it from psgr side as the the cable from the driver's side pulls the psgr side, so if you unlatched the psgr side, it would just push the connecting cable towards the driver's side. This is based on the 73 setup. I think the 70 was the same or similar but by now you can see it anyway. I always had the fear that this would happen. Glad to hear you got yours open.

Quick Reply: broken hood release cable - HELP!