Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Buying a 75

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
mrg
Default Buying a 75

Hello, I'm new here and also new to corvettes. I need some opinions. I am thinking of purchasing a 75 corvette and was wondering if you guys think 6,500 is a fair price. Here's what the ad states and a couple of pictures:

Here is a nice corvette that is ready to drive anywhere! No mechanical issues at all. It has the smoothest strongest original engine you can find around. Starts right up every time with a smooth cold high idle and rock steady low warm idle just like factory. New rebuilt transmission done correctly gives nice strong positive shifts through all the gears. Front end has also been rebuilt and drives exceptionally straight and solid. No strange inherent driving issues at all! The car is a pure joy to drive with no disappointments! Interior is nice original with only a crack on the dash speaker mesh on an otherwise nice dash! Overall a very usable and clean interior while still retaining the correct cut pile carpet. Paint is not perfect but can be used as is. Defects are shown. If your looking for an un abused and VERY straight car that has been driven and owned and taken care of responsibly then this car is for you! Good luck and please email us with any questions.

I haven't seen it yet but I spoke to the guy who is selling. He said it has 115K miles and has no rust. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Buying a 75

Welcome to the Corvette Forum. Since you said you're new to Corvettes, I would recommend that you either take some time to get really educated about them or find someone that you can trust who is knowledgeable about Corvettes and I mean someone who is really in to them, not just someone that has wanted one but never really been around them.

There are a lot of guys here with a lot of knowledge and will be more than glad to help.

At a minimum, you need to drive it and get it on a hoist and examine the running gear. Shoot us a list of options and an underhood pic would be nice as would some interior and underneathshots.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:08 AM
pg

For a car thats 33 years old it sounds like a fair price, how long has the seller had the car and does he have any maintenance records?
Like the others said find a Corvette shop and have them look it over.
Heres some original info on a 75 http://www.vettefacts.com/c3/1975.aspx PG.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Another good info source: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1975-corvette1.htm

Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM

I bought mine for 8,800. It sounds like a fair price, but you want to be sure and SEE the car. Pictures hide alot and it is a good idea to seeand drive it in person. 75s are the way to go!!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:37 PM

I would buy it for $6500 but only if I drove it and looked under itfirst.
If the frame has rot you could be in for some real problems.
I have at least 3 friends that bought cars without checking them out first and they all got screwed.
If the car checks out ok youwill still need to drop a fewthousand into it.into it.
For example = flywheel, clutch, front bumper, brakes, exhaustand so on.
Remember, this Vet is 33 years old.

Good Luck.
PS,
I am writing this reply from personal exp.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM

I agree, you need to look it over and drive it. Almost anything can be fix it just takes $. I just bought a 75, paid less, but it looks like mine needs more work. If I can smoke the tires and look good doing it for under $10,000 I figure I have done well. It looks good in the pictures, but really how is the paint. Does it look OK to you, does it meet your standards,a good paint job isserious $. My next question would be do you have the time and or money to fix the problems, it would be depressing to have it sitting in the door yard for years.Classic cars can be a lot of fun, or a lot of frustration, good luck

Old 11-01-2008, 01:41 PM
mrg

Thanks for the advise guys! I'm going to see it next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile, I will continue to do my research. I have found this forum very helpful. Thanks again to everyone.