Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

A/C and Air pump performance hits

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Default A/C and Air pump performance hits

Has anyone discussed what performance gains can be had by removing the A/C and emissions equipment on an '82? I live in Michigan where there is no automobile emissions testing.

Also, when looking for headers all of the manufacturers state "For racing or off-road applications only". Is this just to cover their butts in the eyes of the EPA?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Default RE: A/C and Air pump performance hits

You could pull the A/C belt off but you won't notice anything, even with the A/C and A.I.R. belts removed you would be lucky to see 1-2 h.p., I would not change any of the emmissions on the 1982 'cause it's going to send results back to the ECM and at the very least give you a "check engine". If you want to get rid of any of your A/C parts let me know, I'm in Ann Arbor and will be working on the A/C in my '78 when I pull the motor.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM

I thought that the air pump simply pumps air into the catalytic converter. How will the ECM know about it?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM

I'm not positive but I think the A.I.R. on the '82 also injects air into the exhaust manifold, if this is true then the oxygen sensor will most likely read rich.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:52 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

I'm not positive but I think the A.I.R. on the '82 also injects air into the exhaust manifold, if this is true then the oxygen sensor will most likely read rich.
GOOD answer. You're sharp.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

There are also little pipes inside the exhaust manifolds that get the fresh air to the head of the exhaust valve. If you disable the AIR system, the heat will melt and mushroom the ends of these pipes and you'll have to cut them to remove from the manifold. I learned this the hard way in my younger and more impulsive days.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 73shark

There are also little pipes inside the exhaust manifolds that get the fresh air to the head of the exhaust valve. If you disable the AIR system, the heat will melt and mushroom the ends of these pipes and you'll have to cut them to remove from the manifold. I learned this the hard way in my younger and more impulsive days.
I'm not understandin' this one there, 73...

Can you explain this just a little differently? Do you have a schematic?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 PM

Hey cwb, 73shark is describing the steel nipples that carry the A.I.R. air deeper into the exhaust manifold, their aimed at the port in the head to maximize the oxidation process of the gases. The stainless steel injector manifold mates to the exhaust manifold with inverted flare fittings and seats the flare to another short nipple inside the cast iron exhaust manifold. This is about as well as I can describe it.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Wow. Thanks for the information! After tracing the lines from the pump, I saw that it also feeds into the air filter housing. I figure that the pump can't be too bad if it's giving the intake a little positive pressure.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that you'll find that the air pump draws from the filtered air from your air cleaner, not push air in. (this line is inside your filtered area)Although a hose from your air cleaner does draw air from your valve cover, through the pcv valve inthe valve cover,to burn internal engine gasses. (this line is outside your filtered area)

Quick Reply: A/C and Air pump performance hits