Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Clutch pedal linkage question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 AM
Default Clutch pedal linkage question

I have a 76 4 speed Corvette and yesterday while driving home from work I pushed the clutch in and heard a small pop noise and the clutch pedal now went to the floor. I nursed it home as I could get just enough pedal to make my shifts. The clutch pedal worked great up until that point. I got it home and looked over everything clutch related and all looked fine except the pedal would go to the floor. I adjusted the two nuts on the pedal pushrod bar and now I have a good pedal again.
My question is what would cause the pedal to go to the floor because I don't think the pedal pushrod bar nuts would move that much to cause the issue. The pushrod bar has a slight bend in it (Is that normal?). Will I need to constantly adjust the pushrod nuts. I had to move them forward on the pushrod about 3/4" to get a good pedal again. All the springs are there as well.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

The nuts should be adjusted so that you have about one inch of free play. This is to prevent the linkage from starting to release the clutch as it wears. Not sure what's going on in your case. Might remove the lower shield to see if there are any pieces of metal from some broken parts. Not sure what caused the "pop" noise. I'd inspect all of the clutch associated linkages. I suppose something could have happened to the throw-out bearing or clutch fork.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Default Clutch pedal solved

The pedal started acting up again, but this time it made a loud snap noise and it ended up being the Z bar ball stud that is in the block. It snapped clean off at the block. I got all the linkage parts removed and took my dremel with a cut off wheel and cut a slit in the top of the broken bolt and was able to remove it with a flat head screw driver. New parts are ordered and should be up and running by next weekend.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you found the problem. First I've heard of that part breaking. Do you think the first time you heard the pop was a partial break?

Thanks for reporting back on the solution.