Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

cockpit insulation project

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned
Default cockpit insulation project

Here is my cockpit insulation project. First I removed the seats, 4 bolts each, then the door sill plates and the center console side covers and finally the carpeting. Here is what I found.
Name:  100_2545.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  109.5 KB
Name:  100_2544.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  143.7 KB

It looks like someone made a half hearted attempt at installing some insulation. I took out the partial sheets of insulation and tossed them in the trash. Then I opened up the center console and found BUBBA WAS HERE - check out the extra large hole for the shifter.
Name:  100_2546.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  133.3 KB

This is most likely where a lot of my unwanted cabin heat was coming from as well as a lot of extra noise too. I took some coil stock (aluminum siding) and fashioned a patch for the transmission tunnel, then installed a rubber shift boot.
Name:  100_2548.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  118.0 KB
Name:  100_2550.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  123.4 KB
Name:  100_2551.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  118.6 KB

Then I purchased some Reflectix from the local building supply store, it is supposed to reflect something like 90% of the heat. It is also an economical alternative to Dynamat. It took about 6 feet to do each side of the car plus some extra pieces to do the transmission tunnel. I pushed the insulation into place, cut it to fit with scissors and a utility knife and I used foil duct tape to seal the seams.Name:  100_2552.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  160.2 KB
I was also careful to try and get up under the dash as closely as I could.Name:  100_2553.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  170.0 KB

After the insulation was in on both sides I simply reinstalled the carpet, the sill plates, center console and side covers and the seats. The whole project took about 3 hours. Cockpit heat and noise have been reduced dramatically. My comfort level has increased and I had a good time doing the installation, it was not a very hard job to do. I highly recommend this project for everyone. Cost was about $50.00

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 PM
pg
Default RE: cockpit insulation project

DeeVeeEight, you do good work! That bottom shifter boot is sometimes overlooked, by fixing that you eliminated a major amount on heat. Well done, and again thanks for sharing and helping, PG.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Very good presentation.
I have one of those "Bubba special" shifter holes too. [&o]
Since I work at a metal plant, I'll use the same cure.
Did you deal with the underside of the tunnel?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Devee,
Like I said, you've been through it, "bottom to the top, top to the bottom," as an early '80s R&B song put it. I think that you've solved the problem which has risen from "headers w/ insulation-wrap."

Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Location: Millbrook,Alabama....Slap dab in the middle of God's Country

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then that post must be worth a thousand bucks. Beautiful job. Very helpfull!
Seems like you put as much effort into helping others as you do working on your vette.
Thanks.
David

[IMG]local://upfiles/6342/63A37F6D5A9D4383A5CE219EDA0D275C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 AM

Hi DV8,
great job.

since the reflectix doesn't exists here with that brand name, can you tell me how is it made? is it metalized on both sides or just one?what is made of?thickness?

Anyway it seems that the most of the heat in my car comes directly from that part of thefirewall where there's not space for any insulation job...

Old 02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

Hi Aldo,

The reflectix is a thin sheet of bubble wrap with a layer of what looks to be aluminum foil on both sides. Total thickness is about 1/8" or less, it comes in a roll and is available in different widths. I found it in the heating and air conditioning area of the local home improvement store.

Here's a link

http://www.reflectixinc.com/

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: aldous

Anyway it seems that the most of the heat in my car comes directly from that part of thefirewall where there's not space for any insulation job...
It sounds like your heater control valve is not closing all the way. The heat stays on and blows out down by your feet, next to the gas pedal. Another possibility is that the heater vent doors are not closing. Can you get air (heat) up to the windshield or out the center vents in the dash?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 PM

I was getting alot of heat down by my feet as well but mine was coming from what started out as a softball size hole that ended upas afootball size hole on the firewall/transmission tunnel. repairing the hole and insulating the floor made a huge differance, although i havent driven it in the summer yet.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Phill

I was getting alot of heat down by my feet as well but mine was coming from what started out as a softball size hole that ended upas afootball size hole on the firewall/transmission tunnel. repairing the hole and insulating the floor made a huge differance, although i havent driven it in the summer yet.
That is some big hole! What do you feed the mice around there, besides fiberglass?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: cockpit insulation project