Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Dependable c3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Default Dependable c3?

I need some words of wisdom. Maybe some of you guys can help me. I have found a 1980 c3 with 23,000 miles on it. I have always dreamed of this car and I want it more than anything I have ever wanted before. I want it so much I have put my dear truck up for sale to get it. This means that the c3 will be my only transportation and I don't know if this is a smart move because I don't want anything that is gonna be in the shop all the time. This thing is clean and is a trophy winnner so I know that electrical and paint problems don't exist. I just need to know if this is a car I can drive everyday. I know that it will depreciate quite a bit once I start putting miles on it but that is not important to me. I only need dependability.

Thanks for your time,
Smokey bear

Old 06-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Default RE: Dependable c3?

Hey man, it's a Chevy 350. In my opinion, the engine and tranny are bulletproof. I have an '81 that isn't quite an everyday driver. But, May-October it's my every sunny-day driver. In other words, if I can't take it out and confidently leave the t-tops at home, I don't drive it that day. Obviously, by putting miles on the car, you're taking its value down, but you're also speeding the wearing out of parts that are expensive and a pain in the a$$ to put in. If you're planning on buying a 25 year old car, I'd hope that you have average "shade-tree" mechanic skills. If so, anything that goes on the motor/tranny would be an easy fix for you. Most of the suspension is also pretty rugged and will last as long as any other car. Probably, the worst repair to have to make on the car are the rear wheel bearings and rear emergency brake shoes.

Some things to watch out for .... Check the brake system CAREFULLY. Each brake caliper has FOUR pistons .... that's 16 rubber sleeves to crack and slowly leak brake fluid. Give the brakes some really good pumps to build up the pressure and see how they look. Also, jack up the back end and give the wheels some good shakes (side/side, up/down, forward/back). You want no play. Grab the lower corner of all of the body panels and make sure they're secure. It doesn't take long for cracks to develope in the fiberglass if they're loose.

Other than that, I'd say buy it and have a blast.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

If it's "The one you've always wanted", go for it! You only go around once, why not go around in a Vette.
DaveWJunior is right, check it out reeeel close. Only 23,000 miles?, I've seen 'em with over 100,000 that run just fine. The key is to take care of it, and it won't let you down.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:06 PM

Make sure that it doesn't have 123,000 or even 223,000 miles. The mileage on the car will definately affect the price you should pay for the car. Even a low mileage car will have parts that have failed due to rot since 1980. You would not believe the parts bill that I have amassed since I started on the 69 and I am still about $3,000.00 from the end of the parts tunnel. Thank god I have the tools and skill to do the restoration myself.