Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

door pillar and body mounts rotted!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Default door pillar and body mounts rotted!

This is my first Corvette.

I have a bit of a problem. Does anyone know a way that I can get in and weld up the door pillar and body mounts without taking the body out.

It would be much appreciated good or bad news on this subject.

Cheers

Old 03-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: door pillar and body mounts rotted!

Welcome to CF!
Sorry to hear of your prob Bro, that's a real shame. []
If ya could post some pics, it would really help.
The pillars should be able to be repaired with body on, but the body mounts, you may have to at least detatch the body and block it up to do the work.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Will sort some pictures out and post them a.s.a.p.
Cheers for that!

Old 03-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote from e-mail:
I have just tried to take photos but they are no good as they are too blury as I cant get the camera in far enough to take a good picture.
The pillar area is badly rotted when you look through access plate in the wheel arch, can't see away at the moment to get into repair it.
Is there part of the fibreglass area that can be removed to do this?
At present I don't really want to take the body off unless I have to.
Any info would be good on this.
cheers.

My responce:
[/align]Well, let's take this back to the forum. I need some more heads to work this out for ya.[/align]One thing that will def help, is for you to purchase a Corvette assembly manual. You can get one from www.ecklers.com These manuals show "complete" construction drawings and diagramsof the Corvette, and you can get one for your year of Vette. It has drawings of the passenger compartment "cage", that may give you a better idea of what to look for and how to access the prob areas. The manual is real good to have around anyway. Hang with us, we have some really sharp pencils here that can further help with this dilemma. [/align]

Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Just my $.02 here... but almost every time I tried to find an easy way to avoid taking off the body, or at least a body panel or two, I have wasted *alot* more time than I would have spent doing it right. If I were you, I would take off the body (cost you an afternoon, a couple of strong buddies, a couple of bloody knuckles, and a couple 12-packs). Fibreglass pieces are fairly easy to haul around, and there isn't too much whacky putty-cutting to get the front surround off.

It is always nice to see what else might be around the areas that you already know are bad.

bill.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Since your e-mail to Starship referenced looking thru the access panel, I'm assuming that you are talking about the #3 body mount area in front of the rear wheel. This is a classic area for frame rot, especially in the rust belt states. If it's bad there, then the frame forward is probably ready to go Tango Uniform also. There are frame repair sections on the market tho. But you would have to do it body off. But if you have that much rot, you probably want to examine the rest of the frame anyway. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:28 AM
pg

Welcome to the forum, major rust! That's a bummer, on your first Vette. These car are so much fun, once you get them right, In Canada who know to recomend, in Charlotte N.C. call "Dub" at Corvette Etc 704 394 5150. He'll put it back together NCRS correct. PG.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM

I was able to replace all of the rubber body cushins without taking the body off, just jack up the body carefully as needed, I also repaired the two rear mounts with a wirefeed welder. The birdcage/ body mount at the rear pillar in front of the rear wheel was tough but I was also able to weld in a new piece from Paragon Reproductions and it worked well, a little tricky but did'nt catch the 'glass on fire

Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 PM

Hey Bill, I'll take the couple of 12 packs. Just send them on up!!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

When you did yours, did you lift one whole side at a time or just the area by the mount? Also did you have to loosen the steering column?

I'm getting ready to do this and I can see that the #4 bolt is going to take a lot of Kroil. The nut plate on the inside is rusted loose.

Quick Reply: door pillar and body mounts rotted!