Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Dumb question on body drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Default Dumb question on body drain plugs

I have a 75 I am trying to bring back to life. The interior was gutted when I got it, included unbolted, worn-out seats sitting on top of bare fiberglass. I am trying to get the interior sealed up before adding upholstery, but prior owners have installed a few extra holes in the interior. My question is this: where are the drain plugs supposed to go? I bought a set, but can't tell where they should all go. Can anyone give me a quick explanation where the factor holes are? I thought this would be an easy one to figure out, but I can't find the info anywhere.

All help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
pg
Default Welcome!

Its been 9 years since I replaced my carpet and I can't remember if I used any drain plugs and if I did I don't remember where they went. Some vendors not only show the part but they have a picture of where it goes, got a vendor and a part number?

Your Vette gets sealed up with the weather strip, hows yours.

Here's a link you might enjoy. http://www.motorera.com/corvette/1970/vet75.htm

Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 AM

I forget who I got the plugs from, but I get catalogs from several vendors, and I can't recall seeing any illustrations for where the plugs go.

When I said "seal," the interior of the car, I was being a bit charitable to myself and the condition of the car. The rear glass needs to be resealed, all weatherstripping replaced, and there is no glass in the driver's side door. I also need to replace the hinge pins in that door because it sags about .75 of an inch.

You do bring up a good point. Are drain plugs really necessary, or can I just slap some fiberglass patches over them and move forward? Hmmmmm.

By the way, this is not a numbers matching car by any means. I got a L-48 75 because if I screw it up, no one will shed any tears.