Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Edelbrock RPM Manifold under a stock hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Default Edelbrock RPM Manifold under a stock hood

The Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold is not suppose to fit under the stock Corvette BB hood but the former owner of my '70 squeezed it in on top of a high performance 454. He custom made a drop base filter platform to fit over the Holley 4777 (600 cfm) carb. He then installed a K&N 2.3" filter and made a flat 1/4" thick 14" round aluminum disk top. He shaved the tips off the wing nut to gain the last 3/8" to get the hood shut. It did fit (barely). However, I can see impressions on the underside of the hood where the wing nut rubs. I want to improve the clearance and put on a larger filter for better air flow. The Carb is in pretty bad shape anyway, so I am planning to replace it. I don't really want to replace the hood with a cowl or scoop. I like to original BB hood look. Summit recommends a Edelbrock Torker II with a new Holley 4160 (750 cfm) carb. I hate to give up the low end performance of the RPM but I would gain some much needed clearance. Also, I am concerned that the Torker II is designed for oval port heads. The High Performance 454 has square port heads. They said it should seal anyway. You guys have any other ideas or suggestions?

Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Default RE: Edelbrock RPM Manifold under a stock hood

Step one, call Edelbrock and see what they recommend. They have guys who do nothing but answer this kind of query all day long. They know the clearance, performance, and port specs like no one else.

bill.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 PM

I DONT THINK SO..A PERFORMER WILL .THE RPM WILL CLEAR. BUT WITH THE CARB ON I DONT THINK IT WILL[8D]

Old 12-20-2006, 01:21 AM

I have personal experience with this same problem. I have a 69 big block with a stock big block hood. I finally solved my problem by using a stock intake, stock carb, and stock air filter. I experimented using an Edelbrock Torker II intake, a Morosoaftermarket air filter, a Holly 750 carb. The only way this arrangement worked was with anL-88 hood. The stock intake is lower than the Torker II which is about the lowest aftermarket intake you will find. The Torker II is machined to use a Holly carb which might bea little taller than the Quadrajet carb. The original air filter sits lower than any aftermarket air filter you will probably find. You can gain some space using a shorter air filter element, but I would not want anything shorter than 3" to breath good. I personally wanted to use my stock big block hood, but if that is not an issuepurchase an L-88 hood and go for it. I am still hanging on to my L-88 hood in case I get bored. My L-88 hood is the original design and would look perfectly correct on my car, but most people would guess correctly that it was not an L-88 car.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up on what you have been faced with. I'm puttin a 454 in my C3, and this is just the type of info I'm lookin' for.
If I have to get too involved in the mods, I have resigned my self to goin' all out and goin' with a high rise. I'llscoop the L-88 hood, and maybe then, go for dual quads.