Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Emissions Loophole? Not so fast.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Default Emissions Loophole? Not so fast.

Just an FYI It had been brought up somewhere about trying to avoid emission requirements by registering the car as an antique as a 25 year old car.Well many MVD Deptsare now working along with the Air care system and have raised the requirement from 25years to 35 years which now places it in the mid 1970's which is when all this emissions stuff started.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Default RE: Emissions Loophole? Not so fast.

Absolutely... check with your state before you leap. In my state, not all counties have emissions testing, but all state inspections include visual inspection that factory emissions equipment is still attached. At 25 years, regardless of whether it is registered as antique, classic, or "driver", and under a "hotrod" category, the visual inspection is no longer necessary, but some equipment must exist (not tested for functionality) such as muffler and catalytic converter. Waiver on the cats is available for cars not originally equipped with them, but these must be registered as antique, with the mileage and usage limitations (to owner meets, car shows, the garage, and joy rides within 50 miles of home and within certain monthly or annual mileage limits). Basically, if you have a 100 pt show car, you don't have to put cats on, but you do have to treat it like a show car.

bill.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM
pg

I have no emmission components, in a book called Corvette Restoration Guide by richard prinecon page 156, "Many, but not all 1973-1977 Corvettes are equipped with an Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.)" anybody else ever heard that one? PG.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Anyone have a tank sticker handy? CA emissions included all the crap, and in some years, the 305 or de-tuned engines to make the grade. Most other engine options included all of the stock crap similar to the CA (cats, AIR, EGR, etc.). There were some engines that were "missing" some of the stock emissions hardware, not for sale in CA... The LT-1, L88, etc.. Some engine options were COPO, dealer installed options, and one-offs as well (think Greenwood, race-prep kits, like the Lingenfelters and Callaways of more recent years).

bill.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 PM
pg

Car could be offered for sale, but not in CA. That clears that up. Thanks, PG.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

A.I.R. was the air pump that pumped fresh air into exhaust to further burn some of the exhaust.

Not sure about the Lingenfelters but the Callaways had to meet emission req'ts.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM

Callaway and Lingenfelter modifications may or may not meet emissions, if you send your car to them to be rebuilt (I don't know their legal caveats and exclusions). Callaways that are ordered as a dealer option *must* meet emissions to keep Chevrolet out of hot water. I am sure that they are well tested before they ship back to the owner/dealership, as both of these businesses are very well respected in the go-fast car world. Generally, the work that is done by both of these places would help pass emissions, as new exhaust (with high-flow cats) is part of the base package, and the whole objective of the tune is to mix the air/fuel correctly, and burn it as completely as possible.

bill.