Suspension
0%
Other
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

What the...? Stupid previous owner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Default What the...? Stupid previous owner!

The more work I do to restore the car, the more things I come across that makes me ask "What the hell was the previous owner thinking?" This car is a work of art not a Yugo, not athrow away car. How bad have you had it? What is the most annoying areato findpoor workmanship?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What the...? Stupid previous owner!

"Bubba" is kinda like Santa Clause, he can make it to every house in one night.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:48 AM

What I've seen with my 'Vette is that shops who claim to be so good at what they do are alot of times"full of -hit" to say the least. I bought this car from my father-in-law who bought it new in Arizona. He's the kind of guy who doesn't mind spending plenty of money on his many toys when it comes to fixing and keeping them up, the reason for this car being in such beautiful shape.Twothings I've run into include; a pop-sicle stick standing verticle to hold the a/c-heater-vent control panel in aftermy father-in-lawwent to a "so-called" really good place for installations to get an FM-cassette music box installed. A broken bolt (just left in there) in the smog pump after having new belts put on. My problem with going to shops of any kind for work is not the high cost, butwhether or notthe work is going to be done correctly. I have to think twice when they say, "well just bring it back and we'll do it again." Sometimes it's better to just write off the money you spent there and go elsewhere.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

To answer the question, electrical. I found extention cord wire used to work the windshield wipers and for grounding. Missing bolts and duct tape for wire splices. The previous owner was def Bubba or his twin brother Doe-Doe.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:05 PM

My 80 is all original except for the tires and paint job, which the last owner had painted by his son who was a body guy. Right, from where. He forgot to close up the windows and cover it, cause he got overspray all on the interior, seats and door panels, what an IDIOT. Well I guess thats on my to do list as well

Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: batesy80

My 80 is all original except for the tires and paint job, which the last owner had painted by his son who was a body guy. Right, from where. He forgot to close up the windows and cover it, cause he got overspray all on the interior, seats and door panels, what an IDIOT. Well I guess thats on my to do list as well
LOL! LMAO! I know just what you mean here. Some people just have no brain activity. Homer Simpson is a dang genius compared to some of them.Good luck with it. Try some denatured alcohol on it. justdampen the rag with it. not wet, just damp. Cheers

Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 AM
ax

A buddy of mine went to look ata 68that was advertised as good condition with a"new paint job". It was local, so he asked me if I wanted to go along with himbeing as I had 68 and knew what to look for.When we got there, the paint was new,but the only problem was it had been put on with a brush and roller!!! Needless to say we told him we had a couple more to look at and would get back to him....lol....yea right.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 PM

ok here is a list of crap i found after pulling the 454 from my 68 vert.
1 motor mount on drver side frame was ripped off and rewelded in wrong location 1 inch forward and 3/4 of an inch to high??
2 steering rubber coupler ripped on 1 side and had staples pushed into it to hold it together
3 piece of bailing wire holding clutch fork pin in place
4 a roofing nail holding 1 of the 4 speed shifter linkages in place?
5 20 feet or more of wire to the alternater balled up in a wad of electric tape stuffed into the fender behind the vac storage tank?
6 a chain holding driverside of engine down because the motor mount would not slide into position due to the mount being in wrong location
7 trans rubber mount busted due to the issues in #6
8 fuel line routed within 1 inch of exhaust to the fuel pump???