Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Flaming River tilt column for 68

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Default Flaming River tilt column for 68

Has anyone installed one of these? How'd you do it?
I recently got one, doesn't look to be a bolt in as I thought.
No mounting brackets. Connector for wires different.
I'd rather not cut the stock harness and I'd rather not weld brackets to a polished column.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Flaming River tilt column for 68

Jeff, welcome to the Corvette forum. Have you contacted Flaming River? There's a lot of folks here with a storehouse of knowledge so I'm sure someone can probably help.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 PM

jeff,
Contact Flaming River and ask what the secret is. Is the column for your year 'Vette or a generic? Surely the company can give you the remedy.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 PM

installed one few months ago on my 68. No it's not a bolt in. you have to grind loose the plate from your stock column that is used against the firewall and reuse it. use a die grinder or drill to remove the machine spot welds from the main bracket and reuse that as well. you will have to weld the main braket to new column, weld fairly cool with a zapping technique until you get a feel for it. You don't want to burn through. you can run a straight bead if your confidant, but I'm a welder by trade. You have to order seperatly the wireing conection.. stupid eh! The hub that goes around the signal and flasher was marked with 2 dimples obviuosly from the chuck or whatever tool they polished it on. Company was bulls*t and wouldn't take responsability for it i returned it for anoyher marked one. Little frustrating but it is nice to have the tilt for entering and exiting the car. keep me posted I want to know how it goes for you. Byron

Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM

aka,
Welcome to the site. I just mentioned last night that I'd like to see some peepz from other countries getting into our site.
I hope that we can get some guys who are up north near you in the U.S., to link up for the up-coming relay.

"YES!!!" "I'm still going to "PUSH" the relay event "TO THE FULLEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!"

Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 PM

I contacted them first. I didn't want tocut parts off the original column. Also didn't want to put mild steel parts on stainless. It's specific for a 68 vette, advertised in Flaming River, Ecklers and others as such. BUt nowhere near an easy install. I fabricated new mounting plate and bracket from stainless, TIG weldedthem to the column. Flaming River sold me a connector that I need to fit to the vette harness, but I'm not gonna do that as it required cutting off the original connector.
I found another connector from an old column from some other GM, gonna make an adaptor harness.
I'll post up some pictures on this project's web page in a few days: http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1968corvette.htm
thanks
Jeff