Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Fuel line location

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 AM
Default RE: Fuel line location

Everything is normal underneath the car up to the fuel pump. The fuel line (rubber hose) leaves the fuel pump heads under the engine in front of the fuel pan and comes up over byt he power steering pump. The fuel inlet for my carb is on the drivers side.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM

riley,
I would, atleast for now, run a new rubber line up from the pump and cross over at the top instead of at the bottom like it is now. Personally, I would rather have that line up top where I can get to it easily and easily see that it's secure and nottouching anything hot. You can find two places, from the point where you turn a 90 (degree turn) after going straight up from the pump and where you turn a second 90 (degree turn) to run the line to the carb,where you can clamp the line to something, even with those small thick plastic ties, in order to secure it and keep it from moving. Then sleeve it with the plastic flex cover. This will keep the fuel line secure, visible, and easily accessable, and also not messy looking. Maybe the last owner ran the line below so that it wasn't visable and looked cleaner. I'd rather have the line where I can see it and get to it easily. If the line was metal, I'd feel alittledifferently about it. I do like to run fuel lines where they're away from too much heat and out of harm's way, and also where they're visable and easy to get to.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Curious as to what kind of carb you have. Also if you stay with rubber hose, be sure to get the best line designed for fuel you can.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 PM

When I got the car last year, it had an old carb (4 barrel) and I took it up to advance auto and they said it was a holly 650 so I got a replacement. The old one was missing a quite a few pieces and was not working. I am not smart enough yet to rebuild one, but I kept the old one for a fix in the future. I think I am going to invest in metal tubing and run a line from the fuel pump up the passenger side of the engine and over to the driver side of the carb to the inlet.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

That's a good move, a lot safer. Is the Holley 650 a spreadbore (secondaries bigger that the primaries like a Q-jet) by any chance?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 PM

If he went from a Holley to a Quadrajet-spread-bore type, he'd have to (need) an adapter for the base plate. Atleast should have...

Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

.....just a side note,.....
If ya get a tubing bender, you can also do your brake lines.
Get the "double flaring tool" kit too, you'll need that.
You can do both, single and double flares.
Single flare on fuel lines, double flare on brake lines.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Texas Jim

If he went from a Holley to a Quadrajet-spread-bore type, he'd have to (need) an adapter for the base plate. Atleast should have...
Not if the Holley is a spreadbore. They fit stock manifold just like a Q-jet. But I think the Holley spreadbore's inlet was on the passenger side like the Q-jet.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM

I didn't get a chance to look at my car today, but can I change the inlet on the carburator from the driver side to the passenger side. I ordered a metal fuel line from ecklers today and it is made to hook up to the passenger side.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

What brand/type carb is on it now?

Quick Reply: Fuel line location