Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Headlight Vacuum problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:54 AM
Default Headlight Vacuum problem

Hi and thanks for viewing this problem. This is what's going on but first let me say this. I have replaced the entire headlight assembly and control valves. Also replaced the vacuum filter before the check valve and the check valve. New Vacuum Canister and some of the hoses on the side with the trouble.
Ok the problem is that my light on the driver side is very slow to rise or go down. Even after i replaced the check valve it got worse. I put the older one back in. The problem is the old light on the pass. side works fine and the driver side sometimes just won't come up when i turn on the lights and is very slow when going down. This is just not right since everything is new. I need some serious help with this problem.
Thanks a lot in advance
Daveloves (his vette)

Old 11-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Headlight Vacuum problem

im not very familiar with corvettes seeing as how i just got mine and i'm learning things myself. However, my headlights won't go don't at all and the guy that i bought it from said that you have to replace the "boots". He bought them on ebay and gave me them. I'm yet to replace them and i'm not even sure if this is the correct term for them. But anything original and rubber would obviously have seen better days. I'll take pics of my "boots" to show you what i'm talking about if i'm wrong.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 PM

Hello,
Im new to this forum, but I've owned my 75 for 4 years now. I have a similar problem. My problem comes from a lack of vaccum to the entire system. Are you familiar with how the vaccum system works in general? When you said everything was new, did you mean everything or are some of the hoses still the old hoses?

Old 12-16-2005, 02:32 AM

I posted my problem under general tech, driver side head light cover not opening when I pull the switch, and I'm losing vacuum when the switch is pulled. I have the GM manual and it trouble shoots everything except the head light assembly. All my vacuum lines are good and it seems like the only things left are the actuator and relay valve. Have you heard anything since you posted this question???
Please let me know if you hear anything. I'll keep working on the problem in the morning and if I come up with anything I'll let you know.
Mine is a 1981, all original.