Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

help!! i have a clunk from the rear end need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Default RE: help!! i have a clunk from the rear end need help

Keep up the good work spanky. as you learn so do the rest of us. Thanks.I might be getting old but I am always open to learn new stuff about my car.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 PM
cwb

Single clunk, when turning. Turning one way, or both ways???

I vote for suspension.

If it was a diff issue, wouldn't it be a continual clunking, until the wheels are straightened up?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

If ya get a single clunk or bump on the floorboard,I'm guessin'the center dif support bushing. Rock the car forward with the throttle, 1 or 2 ft at a time. If this produces the "clunk", yup....center bushing.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 AM

The mysteries of the world have been reveled to me.. The clunk was infact a bad u joint on the drivers side inner half shaft u joint .. also i have put 2 14' electric fans on the new radiator along with new brakes and calipars all the way around good going right?? well not so much we are out on the test drive and the car come up to temp we go in get some lunch and the damn thing wont start turn over or any thing so checked conn. every where it finally started and i avoided my pregnat wife having to come to me and my dads rescue so i guess tonight i will redo all the conn. on the started but i was wondering if the started could be bad by the simple fact it seems to do this only after you drive it a while , then you wait and it will start again.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
pg

Hi again, glad to hear that you found and repaired the clunk.
Good move to do all the brakes, that should always be done before anything else.
Re the no start: Are all the connections tight on the battery and at the starter and on the alternator? Have you had the auto store check battery and alternator? After the jump start did your ammeter guage show a charge? How many amps do the fans use and do they run with the key off and where do you have them getting the power from.
Reguarding starting to run hot: do you have a front spoiler? And did you replace all air dams and seals so that the air goes thru the radiator and not around it?
Those are the things I would look at, hope this helps. PG