Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Hood Clearance with new engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Default Hood Clearance with new engine

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, and new to the corvette world. I have just purchased a 1979 L-82. I am replacing the 350 with a 383 stroker. The new engine has aluminum heads, a Professional Products Typhoon intake, and a Quickfuel 750 carb. Will the stock hood work with this combo? If it will, what type of breather can I use? Also, I have to use tall valve covers to clear the the rocker arms. Are there any clearance issues under the hood that I need to know about? I'm sure this is a common swap, so if any of you have experience with this I would appreciate your help.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM

You'll just have to try it unless you run into someone with exactly that combo in exactly that year of car, even then, there can be a 1/4 inch difference in two different installations -- one fits and one rubs and bumps, just because . . .

Old 03-16-2009, 05:41 AM

When I went to order the Edelbrock Air Gap Performer manifold from JEGS, it stated that it would cause a "hood clearance problem" on the 'Vette. Prior to another manifold, I looked into an adapter to go from spread to square bore when replacing the q-jet w/ an Edelbrock, again I had a clearance problem. Sounds like you're way past something as mild as a spacer or the air gap. I priced new hoods w/ the raised (afew different styles) centers and they're just over $500. . I'm thinking that your best bet would be to get someone who's good w/ fiberglass and pick out a nice cowl induction piece or one of the factory style centers that came on the big block 'Vettes. Then even if you, sometime in the future, decide to change the manifold and/or carb, you won't have to address the clearance problem again.
Good Luck. Sounds like you have a "real 'Vette engine" f/ your 'Vette.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

I have a '79 with a 383 stroker and an edelbrock performer air gap intake manifold/holley 750. A stock hood will not fit this set up, you need a hi-rise hood, try watching ebay for a decent price on a used one. I got mine for under $200.00

Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all info guys. Since I posted my question, I have decided that a new hood is unavoidable. Since I have to replace the hood anyway, I am now using the Pro Products "hurricane" intake. It is a single plane high rise, and should give me a little more top end power. I found a used L88 hood, but I think I will need at least a 4" rise. I have found a couple different companies on ebay offering 4" cowls for under $500. Are there certain types I should avoid??

Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM

I used a stock style 2.5" rise hood on my '73 from Vanacors http://vanacorvette.com/ It looks great, and gave me all the clearance I needed to clear my Performer carb/ manifold combo. I also used a 4" K&N with a drop base from a '69 and a flow through lid also from K&N. Instead of using the stock stud and wingnut to hold the lid on, try a longer Pan head phillips screw ( I believe it is a 1/4-20 thread). It will save about 1/2" but every bit helps... If all my pics hadn't vaporized in the site transition... PM me with your email and I can send you a shot of what it looks like.
Good luck

Last edited by Wedge; 03-20-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned
Default one more inch

I also ditched the 3" filter element for a 2" one (stock part # for a '69 'Vette).

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

You are correct about the single plane, hi-rise adding to the top end power. However it's at the expense of low end hp and torque.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 AM

I tried to attach a pic...hope it worked. This is whats going in. It dynoed at 490HP with the dual plane "typhoon" intake and a Quickfuel Q-750, but the single plane "Hurricane" was offered to me for the same price. I checked out Vanacors web site, and they do look like nice hoods. Very good price, but do you think 2 1/4" cowl would clear?. I know I will loose low RPM power, but after talking with the engine builder, I decided this intake will be better for future mods I will be making. This car will be driven rarely, strictly for fun on a nice Saturday night.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Clearance with new engine-383-stroker-490hp.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to compare the torque curve of the dual plane vs the hi-rise single plane. Also w/ that kind of hp, you'll quickly find the weak link(s) in the drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Hood Clearance with new engine