Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Hooker Sidepipes and headers for '76

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Default Hooker Sidepipes and headers for '76

Hello all,
New to all the car stuff and C3 Corvettes. I've been thinking about getting sidepipes as I think that it would be a nice look, but I'm really curious as to how different it will sound. I won't be putting mufflers or running CAT's or any of that stuff.
Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hooker Sidepipes and headers for '76

Welcome to the Corvette Forum.

If you're talking about the '69 factory sidepipes, they sound great. Not quite as loud as the mid-year sidepipes which were just tuned straight-thru pipes. The '69 style is really a stretched reverse-flow muffler but the sound is awesome.

Now if you are talking about the Hooker style nest-of-snakes sidepipes without the muffler inserts, then you are talking about a lot louder. With the standard fiberglass insert, they are quieter 'til the 'glass starts to burn out.

What year do you have or planning on getting?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 PM

OH sorry, forgot to mention I have a '76!
Yeah, I was thinking of the Hooker sidepipes. I think the chrome ones look absolutely beautiful.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM

Word of caution... after a nice long relaxing drive in the country... soaking up the sights, sound and sun... keep your leg far, far away from those Hookers when you get out. I still have the 3rd degree tattoo I got from resting my calf on that muffler getting out of my old '68. Got that mark over 25 years ago...guess I was lucky... it could have been the girlfriend! I've got the original '69 style. After a few years the mufflers burn in to sound real good... and the new style plastic covers and be chromed to look like the original factory covers.
Later,
Wedge

Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that the chromed ones look great but don't drive w/ salt on the road with them. Also the part near the heads will turn blue after a while.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Where did you get your plastic covers chromed? How much?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: 73shark

I agree that the chromed ones look great but don't drive w/ salt on the road with them. Also the part near the heads will turn blue after a while.
Is there any way to avoid that? Or any way to remove the discoloration? The car is my daily driver and would like to avoid any aesthetic issues. Do the stainless steel ones suffer from this as well?

And basically upgrading to these will provide a little more HP and it will be a lot louder correct?
And is there any online vendors that you guys would recommend I buy them from?

Sorry about all the questions []
Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 PM

if you just looking for the hooker ones you can get them anywhere you want including your local Advance auto parts or auto zone

Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a good place to start.

WWW.shopheaders.com

and

www.westerauto.com

Also Ebay has some good deals some times.

Cheers

Old 01-26-2008, 12:28 AM

The ones on my '73 were a dealer option put on the car when it was new. They are the 3 piece metal design. I had them re-chromed 3 years ago by Browns Plating www.brownsplating.com. They did a great job, and I think they still do plastic. Check out www.atlaschrome.com.Houston. I used to own a custom Harley shop and used both these shops for all my plating needs. Both are reasonable and have great turnaround times.
As for blueing on the chrome, there are a number of products available that will minimize the effects of heat. Check with your local HD shop for a product called Dyno-Cote. It is a ceramic coating you can apply to the inside of the header to keep it from blueing, and there is also a polish called Blue Away that will remove most coloration caused by too much heat.
Hope this helps,
Wedge
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Hooker Sidepipes and headers for '76