Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Hooker Sidepipes and headers for '76

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hooker Sidepipes and headers for '76

The "Hookers" here in Nevada, don't have side pipes. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

( sorry, I couldn't help myself....[&o])

Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Location: Millbrook,Alabama....Slap dab in the middle of God's Country

Woke-up to the sound of rain, All I could think of was that the vette was going to be stuck in the garage!
I knew a trip to the forum would put a smile on my face....and dang , Starship, you diddn't let me down.
You guys are allways good for a chuckle. Thanks.
David

[IMG]local://upfiles/6342/B6079A14D3BB42CEAB714365AC068017.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

These are the only side mount headers that I have found to fit my '80, w/454, and standard trans w/floor shift.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...047+4294840133

(Thanks Blue Shark )

Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Wedge

The ones on my '73 were a dealer option put on the car when it was new. They are the 3 piece metal design. Wedge
[align=left][/align]
I misunderstood and thought you had the plastic ones chromed. I knew that there was process to chrome plastic but had never seen anything that large. I had mine rechromed locally after driving the car daily year round. The salt darn near destroyed them. Fortunately the plater was able to make them like new. They'll never see salt again.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:36 AM

So... you got them back all shiny and new... how long did it take to black out the grooves batween the fins? After about 3 different attempts I finally hit on priming them with spray primer, wetting a rag with acetone, and wiped the top of the fins. Then used satin black spray heat paint, and wiped again. Worked so good I will probably redo the hub caps this spring.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Location: Millbrook,Alabama....Slap dab in the middle of God's Country

Your local welding supply house might be a good place to check for products to remove the blueing from heat. I have a yellow paste I use when welding stainless tubing to remove the discoloration. The label is long gone, but it came from the welding supply.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Personally, I like the blueing.
I wouldn't mind havin' all my chrome blued.
But, that's if I can't get the chrome replaced by either gold plating or some type of gold tone. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

A black or dark blue Vette with gold trim. (would look great with red too)
Yeserie,....mighty fine contrast. [sm=hail.gif]

Old 01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Wedge

So... you got them back all shiny and new... how long did it take to black out the grooves batween the fins? After about 3 different attempts I finally hit on priming them with spray primer, wetting a rag with acetone, and wiped the top of the fins. Then used satin black spray heat paint, and wiped again. Worked so good I will probably redo the hub caps this spring.
[align=left][/align]
Haven't done them yet. I planned to mask the ribs using pin striping tape. If that doesn't work, will probably do what you did. Interestingly enuf, the covers were originally manufactured about ten miles south of me.

BTW, the original color between the ribs was a dark charcoal gray metallic. I found a Duplicolor paint that matched. Plan to use some type of adhesion promoter as a primer. What did you use?

Had the pipes Jet Hot coated w/ their sterling and the manifolds with their cast gray. One of these days I'll get back to the car and get it finished up.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 PM

Didn't know that... just thought they had faded after all those years and all that heat! Sorta feel kind o' stupid now... but in case you were wondering.... I AINT GONNA DO 'EM OVER!!! no way, no how... nope... At least I will know what to do the next time I blow a PS line and all that power steering fliuid eats the chrome...like the last time -
Until the next time,
Wedge

Oh forgot... I used POR self etching primer in a rattle can. Ordered online about $25. So far so good.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 PM

go with the jet hot sterling coated ones!! they will never blue and they are much more forgiving if you touch them after a ride than the chrome or stainless!! get them straight from jethot and they will knock off 100 bucks if you tell them you are from the corvette forum!!

Quick Reply: Hooker Sidepipes and headers for '76