Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

HotRodAir conversion, phase 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Default RE: HotRodAir conversion, phase 1

Bill, Any more progress on the Hot Rod Air conversion? I did get the unit in and the heater and A/C lines through the firewall. I also fabricated a bracket for the vacuum solonoids and mounted it under the dash support bar. That location works well because the solonoids are up out of the way, the vacuum lines will be tucked up and there is a spot on the cowl support to attach the ground wire without drilling another hole. I did drill an additional hole in the firewall cover to allow for the passage of the heater valve vacuum line and the wire to the binary switch and the compressor. All in all, it's not a bad kit. I will take some pictures and post them soon.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Default RE: HotRodAir conversion, phase 1

My wife lost the digital camera... I was going to take some more pics.

Under the hood is finished. You do need additional holes for the condensation drain line, the vacuum heater hose cut-off line, and the wire to the drier pressure switch/compressor clutch. I'll take some under-hood pics this afternoon and post them.

I took some time to pull all of the dash bulbs and test them. I hate doing all this work with the dash out to find that I need to do more work. Cleaned up some icky wiring in the console, etc.. The underdash box was not a simple mount for me, as I don't have the brace bar, and none of the mounting brackets lined up with anything. I was able to bend the outside bracket a bit and reach an existing hole. Nothing even close to the inside bracket, so I zip-tied the defrost side through an existing hole. Inside wiring was pretty easy, since I am using their thermostat and controls. One plug to the box, power to the fuse box, ground from the selinoids, and ground from the heater box. Splice the light blue wires into your existing dash lights, and everthing is grand.

Make sure you check the vacuum lines to the box (test the unit before putting the dash back in). The little actuators for vent control aren't labelled. I got them backwards on the first try... oops.

Dash should be going back in this afternoon. Couple little things to mess with yet, like a dead courtesy light, a little fitting on the new hood, and installing the new A-pillar and windshield trim. Then back on the road!!

bill.