Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

I found the original title for my 71! I need help getting it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Default I found the original title for my 71! I need help getting it!!!

A couple weeks ago I purchased a 1971 convertible. The car is very original with only 32k miles on it. I have almost all the supporting documents except the original title. The first owner owed the car until August of this year when he “sold” it to a corvette broker who, for whatever reason titled it in his name. When he did this, he turned over the original title to the county he lives in Ohio, which is Lorain County. I live in Missouri, so I assumed the original title was destroyed when the new one was issued like they do in Missouri.[:'(] Well, I got to thinking about it and did a little research on Ohio law and what they do with titles. What I found out was, according to Ohio law, the County Clerk for each county must save the title for a period of seven (7) years for documentation purposes. When I found this out (the fact the original title for my car is still in tact) I was elated! Anyway, this happiness quickly became sadness when I talked to the very rude clerk (Marilyn/supervisor) in the Lorain County clerk’s office. Marilyn stated there was absolutely no way I could preserve the original title for my car, and after the prescribed seven (7) year period passes (Aug 2014), it would be destroyed. Marilyn sited two reasons for this. #1 was Ohio State law REQUIRES[/b] this action and #2 their office could not release it to me because it contains personal information of the original owner. I advised Marilyn I had reviewed the Ohio statute and it plainly says the County Clerk SHALL[/b] retain the title for seven (7) years and at the end of that period, MAY[/b] destroy it (see below for Statute). In addition, I advised Marilyn I have contact with the car’s original owner and he said he would gladly sign a release for me to obtain the original title if the County Clerk’s office would agree to release it to me.
At this point, Marilyn became VERY agitated and belligerent towards me[:@], even though I apologized and said I was not trying to make her life difficult, but I was just trying to ensure this historic document was preserved. I also told her I understood state law mandates her office retain the title for seven years, but I just wanted to try to arrange the title being released to me after the seven years have passed. This got me nowhere, and Marilyn (who refused to give me her last name) begrudgingly gave me her supervisors name and terminated our phone call.
That being said, I have decided I have seven years to try to save my title. As I said, I believe the Ohio Revised Statutes regarding the handling of titles (4505.08) mandates the clerk retain the title for seven years, but makes allowances (but does not mandate) for it to be destroyed after seven years. I also would be willing to hire an attorney if necessary. I guess I am asking the forum if anyone has any experience, advice, or even could recommend a good attorney in the Cleveland area (the car was purchased in Columbia Station, Ohio). My vette is very original and I consider it to be a piece of American history. It would seem to be a terrible waste for this document to be destroyed for no good reason other than a county clerk’s incorrect interpretation of her state’s law. If anyone can help, advise me, or just wants to join my crusade, let me know![8D]

John

Ohio Revised Statute 4505.08 Issuance of physical certificate of title.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/b...m?ID=122_HB_39
…The registrar shall[/b] prescribe a uniform method of numbering certificates of title, and such numbering shall[/b] be in such manner that the county of issuance is indicated. The clerk shall[/b] assign numbers to certificates of title in the manner prescribed by the registrar. The clerk shall[/b] file all certificates of title according to rules to be prescribed by the registrar, and the clerk shall[/b] maintain in the clerk’s office indexes for the certificates of title.
The clerk need not retain on file any current certificates of title, current duplicate certificates of title, current memorandum certificates of title, or current salvage certificates of title, or supporting evidence of them covering any motor vehicle or manufactured or mobile home for a period longer than seven years after the date of its filing; thereafter, the documents and supporting evidence may[/b] be destroyed…

Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I found the original title for my 71! I need help getting it!!!

Hmmm........, that's a very interesting situation you have brought up.
I have a question.....
would a copy be availabe as part of public record?
Another,....
how about a title search comming up with a copy?
I know, I keep sayin' "copy" and you're looking for the original.
Sorry for askin' questions to your question, and that I can't be of any real help.
I'm graspin' at straws here, and you are probably way ahead of me on anything I may come up with.
I understand your wanting the original title, and I wish ya the best of luck in comming up with it. I wish ya a quick solution to your dilema.
Let us know of your results, you're probably not alone in this situation.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I found the original title for my 71! I need help getting it!!!

Have you considered making a FOIA request? Not sure if it applies to state gov'ts tho. Plus could probably only get a copy at best.