Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Ignition cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Default Ignition cylinder problem

I'm in the process of replacing the igntion lock cylinder. I ordered a new one from ecklers. Installed what seemed like just fine. But now the cylinder won't turn. I tryed the cylinder before I put it in and it turned just fine. I have not put the entire column back together yet I don't know if that affects it or not. My goal was to make sure it was working before putting everything back together. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! In case it matters she's an 81 with tilt and telescoping steering.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Default RE: Ignition cylinder problem

Not having the column completely put back together shouldn't affect the lock cylinder function. Seems like there is one screw that locks the cylinder in place. I would tear it back down to the cylinder and look and seewhats binding it.

Hope you have the tool to press the lock plate back on while you install the C-clip. That thing can be aPITA to get back on.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Yeah, glad I didn't put the whole thing back together. Yeah the c ring for the lock plate is a PITA, went really easy once I got a second body involved, one person pushes the other pulls the c ring. I used a generic lock plate remover for that worked just fine. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any suggestions as to what might be preventing this from turning any advice is welcome.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 PM

Question...what was the reason for replacing the cylinder?Was it doing the same thing it's doing now??

Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Is it binding in the switch? Try taking the switch off and see if the rod moves up and down when you turn the key. Check the shift lever lock also to see if is turned all the way since you have the collumn out.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:06 PM

Another thought...Could be the ignition switch has seized. I have seen the contacts in the switch fuse (weld) themselves together. The switch can't move if that happens.

The switch is located under the dash, mounted on top of the column. There's a metal rod that goes down through the column from the key cylinder and connects to the switch. Remove the screws that hold the switch in place, and move the switch off to the side. Now see if the key lock cylinder works. If it does, more than likely the switch is seized. Just replace the switch and you should be good to go.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Gee, Rich...looks like we posted right on top of each other, great suggestion though.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Ok, well I'm getting ready to try again now. Hopefully it is not the switch. The cylinder is being replaced because I don't have keys to the old one. The ignition switch and cylinder turned just fine prior to me losing my keys.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Shift Lever Lock?

Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I tried to look in my FAM for my '73, thought it might be similar,but it's not that detailed. Sorry. There was a thread about changing the ignition some where on here., I think it was a late '70's or early '80's, C3.....Good luck with it and I hope your luck is better than mine. ifyou are like me you'll find the dang keys as soon as you get it fixed. LOL. Cheers

Quick Reply: Ignition cylinder problem