Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Ignition cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Default RE: Ignition cylinder problem

The ignition warning switch is preventing it from turning over. I looked in the shop manual and when you replace it the key needs to be in the on position, reinstalled it doing this and then I was able to turn the ignition key up until reinstalling the the lock plate. Not sure if the switch I have is damaged or not, appears like it may be. Pulled it for now, I do not think I need this for operation of vehicle. Was able to get the lock plate back in place today and will finish putting the steering wheel back on tomorrow once I get the plastic c ring retainer that crumbled during removal. Thanks for the help, will post results.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ignition cylinder problem

Besides the ignition switch rod & shift lever lock, the cylinder also pushes a plunger into the disk for the steering wheel lock. Might check this for hang up.

The shift lever lock locks the tranny in Park (auto) or reverse (4 spd).

Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by SuperHeroSmurf
Yeah, glad I didn't put the whole thing back together. Yeah the c ring for the lock plate is a PITA, went really easy once I got a second body involved, one person pushes the other pulls the c ring. I used a generic lock plate remover for that worked just fine. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any suggestions as to what might be preventing this from turning any advice is welcome.
I'm just trying to get the lock plate off. It seems the telescopic column becomes too long as you assemble the tool on the column to the point where you then have no shaft to compress with the tool. With the telescoping column collapsed towards the dash, it seems it would have enough travel to compress, but with the telecsopic shaft rising to it's extended length, you are out of tool .....do you get what I mean?

Here's a description of the tool, and the use on telescopic columns........ what am I missing to keep the shaft at the shortest length?? please?

http://corvette-parts.zip-corvette.c...core&view=grid