Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Ignition system woes help needed

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Default RE: Ignition system woes help needed

Sure did all connections are solid and the fusible link was located near the starter. The engine rotates strong, but I'm not getting any spark.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 AM
pg

Ok in the corvette shop manual they show the fusible link atthe B terminal on the starter listed as "Thermo" ( a fusible Link ) but they show another " Thermo " from the alternator wire, this is the one you said sparked did you check this one too? PG.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 AM

Rick, I don't see on any of your post's where you replaced the control module within the distributor. If your getting 12 volts input to the HEI and still no spark then the trouble is in the distributor, either the control module and/or pickup coil.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 AM

I bought a new distributor with ignition control module to test. Also, the only one of the fusible links that was fried was the one with the quick connect on it.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Ok, so you have a brand new factory style HEI, the only thing needed is to have 12 volts input at the BATT. terminal and the module connector plugged in. An easy test would be to run a 12 gauge jumper wire from the alternator output terminal to the BATT. terminal on the HEI. Crank the engine and it should fire up, now you won't be able to shut it down with the ignition key because your by-passing the key switch with the jumper, just unhook the jumper from the alternator and it will die. So if this test works you then can use your multi-meter to check the wiring to see where the voltage loss is occurring.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Hmm I think I may be misunderstanding how to set up my HEI. I thought the ignition coil plugged directly into the distributor and that nothing connected to the distributor, but the vacuum hose?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

Hey Rick,

The coil in the distributor needs a 12 volt supply. It then converts the 12 volts into a high voltage spark. No 12 volt supply = no spark.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 PM

Lol! Well -1 for me. I have a 12v supply line that I moved off to the side. Where exactly would I attach it?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM

Rick, can you describe the distributor that you bought? On the side of the cap where the connectors plug in doe's it have terminals designated BATT., TACH., +, GND.? Also is it a stock style or are you using an external coil with a high voltage wire (spark-plug type) that runs from the coil to the center of the cap? On the factory distributor the internal control module is wired to the outside of the cap and plugs in at the + and GND. terminals, these are the connections that send the primary voltage to the built-in coil. Next to this connection you should see a terminal marked "BATT", this is where the ignition system gets it's feed from the 12 gauge red wire that clips into it. With the ignition key in the "Start" or "Run" position you should read battery voltage at this wire. If your not getting battery voltage here you won't have any spark, thats why I suggested the test in my prior post.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM

I never connected a 12v wire to the coil. I thought the wires on the cap and distrib were the only ones. I'll connect the 12v wire and try to start it again. I'm really glad you guys are here. I was >< close to pulling off the valve covers and spark plugs, and redoing the TDC to see if my timing was off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition system woes help needed