Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Im loosing my mind on this one.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
Yes, I seem to remember that you have one of those engines that you had to grease the sides of to drop it into the engine compartment. LOL! You know, even w/ my 'Vette having the 350 and w/ the smog pump and lines removed, I still find that the easiest way to change the plugs is "4 from the bottom and 4 from the top." A big block in that same compartment trips me out, as the amount of clearance is next to nothing.
I found that, while doing 70, if I drop to 2nd and drop the hammer she REALLY comes alive.
Haven't had to change plugs yet but it should prove to be an interesting task. LOL
We shall see......

Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by C3 Starship
I found that, while doing 70, if I drop to 2nd and drop the hammer she REALLY comes alive.
Haven't had to change plugs yet but it should prove to be an interesting task. LOL
We shall see......
LOL! You don't say...That 'Vette comes alive w/ that 454 in it? And w/ alittle vasaline, the plugs will slide right under the hood, and then stop, and from there you'll have to be Houdini to install the eight. LOL! In around '72, my brother bought a late '60s Sunbeam Tiger w/ a Shelby 289 in it. It had come w/ a 260 in it, same block, and my brother swapped it out f/ the 289. From the factory, there was a small hole, about 2 inches in diameter, in the front of the passenger side floor board, just below the fire-wall (where the floor pan turned up to form the fire-wall), that allowed f/ a 3/8" drive rachet to fit through to change out the rear spark plug on that side. That was the tightest engine fit in a factory design that I have ever seen, very clean and set up very well though. It was a cool car overall also, w/ the wood dash and steering wheel, basically a European style interior, but w/ an American V8 that made the car run well. My brother installed 2:88 gears in it, and w/ the 4 speed, it was a heck of a highway car. Anyway Starship, I suggest that you buy about five different brands/sets of plugs, and change the sets out after a short drive w/ each to first read the plugs and then/also see which brand runs the best in your particular car. Ofcourse that's the only way to find out for sure which brand will make your car really run to it's fullest potential. LOL! I'll send you some grease if need be. LOL! I'm sure that the changing of the plugs will be a breeze. LOL! (There is probably an easy system to that, as surely someone has figured it out by now.)

Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

No clearance for grease, silicon spray on the hand should clear alright. LOL
Ya Texas, I'll look into dif plugs, but that's for another tread.
We've hijacked this one long enough. LOL

Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM

hey what was the resolution to your problem

Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM

hey terl30 forwarded this post to another forum heres the link.
hope it helps. by the way I've had this happen to me so i feel your pain. if you don't mind let us know what ended up happening.

http://forums.chevyhiperformance.com...ild/index.html

Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 AM

As some of the members said earlier do not overlook a vacuum leak. I have a GMPP crate long block in the Vette. I added a Weiand intake and when I fired the car up it had no power and had so much hesitation that I thought that there was an anchor attaced to the rear bumper. I put about 50 miles on the car and knew I had to do something to find the problem. I realized that I could smell burning oil fumes but it did not smoke. I took off the oil filler cap and could smell gas. I removed the intake and could see where the machined surface did not fit properly against the head surface at number 6 and 8. I had a big time vacuum leak. It was pulling mass amounts of oil fumed air into the cylinder and letting fames into the block.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks everyone for all the help. I swapped out the stamped rockers for scorpion 1.5 full roller rockers(no difference),Blocked off all vacuum lines except pcv/break booster bypased everything else to elminate leak(no difference).only thing left to think of is maybe the electric fuel pump if not flowing well under a load(auto zone MR Gasket inline electric) or the powers that be just do not want me to have a faster car than my wife(02 ws6 this is THE ENTIRE reason for this build my wife cannot have a faster car than me

Last edited by terl30; 12-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Default feel ya!

hey terl30

not only have i had a engine rebuilt that ended up never being right(86 Z\28)
i recently bought a corvette that the owner said was a recent rebuild at 400 horsepower and my little brothers stock 99 t\a smoked me in recent race. at least mine will ALWAYS be worth more! lol

so keep us informed on what your vettes outcome is

thnx
scrappy78

Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

terl30: Have you checked fuel pressure?

It's got to be fuel, air, and/or spark/timing. Eliminate one at a time.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
terl30: Have you checked fuel pressure?

It's got to be fuel, air, and/or spark/timing. Eliminate one at a time.
here is a vid of the engine starting http://www.budgetpc.org/vette/IMG_0263.MOV

was thinking of ordering a summit fuel pressure gage tonight any recomendations?

Quick Reply: Im loosing my mind on this one.