Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

keepin it straight

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Default keepin it straight

Here's a problem I have with my 80,Lots of play in the steering wheel? I've notice that everything is tight from the steering wheel down to the pitman arm ( no Lash )but looks like a lot of play in the rod from the control valve. is there any adjustments on the valve itselfto help this? It's most likely time to rebuild as both the cylinder and valve are wet but not soaked, I don't think the seals are totally gone yet.
I have replaced the tie rod ends, ball joints and bearings already.Any sugestions

Old 09-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Default RE: keepin it straight

Good morning batesy80, you can pump grease into the control valve zerk to see if it tightens up the play, if so then I would rebuild the valve and replace the ball stud, when I ordered the kit for the valve I thought the ball stud would be included but wasn't, you'll have to order it separately. I used kits for the valve and cylinder and put new lines on, haven't had a single drop of fluid since.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Thanks Bob, I'll give the grease a try and rebuild both units this winter. Where can I purchase the ball stud ,I don't see it in the catalogs? Scott

Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 AM

Corvette Central has it in the list of parts but didn't separate it in the diagram, part #562338. Paragon Reproductions has it as a complete kit for the valve and stud for $65, part #2656K. I'm pretty sure I got mine from Central with no issues.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 AM

Hey Scott, I had to re-check to see where you live, now I see your on the east coast, Corvette America also has the kits for the valve and ball stud but it's a little confusing in their catalogue, stud kit #33349, valve kit ? #1660. They may be better on shipping compared to the Michigan dealers.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 AM

Thanks, I found it as well at http://www.corvettepartsman.com/
Thanks for your help

Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 AM

I have a question related to this thread. My steering is tight. I adjusted the backlash in the steering box, due to a lot of slop. At first, I thought it was intentional so that the driver would have more road feel, but now I am concerned that there is something else going on. I would estimate that the pull required to turn the wheels, at rest, is approximately 25 pounds at the steering wheel. Is this excessive? I bought the rebuild kits for the control valve and cylinder, but I have not completed the rebuild.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi Batmobile, was the steering lighter before you adjusted the gearbox? It sounds like you went too far with taking the free-play out of the steering gear, try backing it off a little, it doesn't take much to make it too tight.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Be sure that the steering is centered whenever you adjust as the sector gear has a high center to provide tight control when you're going straight (good road feel) and a little looser on either side. If you adjust with it off center, it will be too tight in the straight ahead position. Sometimes it can even lock it up. [] Not good if you're driving when that happens.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:05 AM

The tightness did not change when I adjusted the steering gear.

Quick Reply: keepin it straight