Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Looking to buy my first C3

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Default Looking to buy my first C3

Hello everyone- i'm new to the board, and looking to purchase my first C3. I used to own a C4 ('86) but now want a C3. I'm not sure which year to buy, but I like the larger rear spoiler like what was on the Pace car (I believe that was an '81?). My question is: I will be building my own 383 stroker and might be using a new 350 block. Will I run into any issues bolting this into a C3? Is there a particular year that is better than others for the newer blocks? I want to stay away from unnecessary electronics, like the '82s. Also, I would like to install a newer 5-speed manual transmission, so any input on what year would be best is highly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Dave

Old 05-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Default RE: Looking to buy my first C3

New 350, old 350... no problems there. The same motor mount locations and basic dimensions have been used for decades.

The pace car was a 78, but that flipped tail look was kept from 78 through 82.

Since you aren't looking to keep it original... I'd look at what you do want to work with, and what you'd rather not mess with. For instance, you are looking at a new engine and trans. You would probably be OK with a high mileage car (from ebay, etc.). If you don't like messing with interior, find one that looks good inside, but doesn't run, or has huge mileage on it. Same with body, paint, upholstery, suspension, etc.. You can spend $30k on a perfect pace car edition '78, down to $4k or so for a "driver" reaching the end of the useful life of the engine/trans.

I paid about $4k (for an '81 "driver" with 200k miles), and put about $5k into engine cleanup, new climate control, suspension, etc.. Add in some paint, and I have just the car I wanted for about $12-14k. Now... when I can talk the wife into letting me put that LS2 into it, I'll be at about $22k for a car that I won't ever part with.

bill.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Actually the Indy Pace car big spoiler (rear) was on the '78 and '79. Probably fit '74 thru '77 also unless the fastback makes a difference. The '80 thru '82 went to a molded-in spoilerin the rear that more closely resembled the shark tail.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
pg

Hi Djosbun and welcome to the forum.
Once a Vette owner gets the bug it's incurable. The C-3's that are the best value are the low horsepower years. The problems seem to be equal to all the years.
The most costly C-3's are the matching number early years with hi horsepower big blocks. Those are investor cars, and what if you paid top dollar and then put a rod thru the block, good by matching #'s and good by to that investment.
To me a Vette is to be driven and enjoyed. Find yourself a car with a good frame and a rust free birdcage and go from there.
If your 6 foot or taller try to get a convertable, you'll have just a little more headroom.
A shift car is your best choice, you can convert auto to shift, but that will cost more money.
Like wrwalke says, a 350 is a 350, they all fit. you can get 400 plus horsepower from a stroker or a zz4, it's only money so go fot it!
Some supplyers must make a trany and bell housing to go to a 5 or even a 6 speed check with the sponsers.
73 Shark mentioned the 80 to 82 tail, I like that shark and I have it on mine, you'll find most of the part will interchange.
Good luck on your serch. PG