Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Multimeter Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Default Multimeter Question

My corvette has an electrical drain that is running down the battery. I have a multimeter, but I don't know how to use it properly. (I know, I know). Can someone please tell me what setting I should use to check if current is being drawn? I figured I'd start with the fuse box.

Another thing. When I start the vett, the Generator light comes on. I removed the altenator and had it tested at a local parts store. It tested fine. Any ideas what could cause this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thx,
TX_Renegade

Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Multimeter Question

Set your meter on the voltage setting to12 volt, or above, not below. Place it in line, between the battery pos post and the pos cable.(with the key turned off) If you show a voltage, leave it connected and pull each fuse, one at a time. When you no longer get a reading, that is the cicuit that is draining the electricity. If you have your door or hood open, the light switcheson thesecircuits willcause a reading. Doing your check at the fuse box will not work, the fuse box is energized all the time. All switches are after the fuse box.
As far as the "gen" light staying on, check to see that you have proper belt tention.
Hope this helps!

Old 12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Multimeter Question

What year is your car? If it is late enough to have an internal regulator and the gen. light is on and it has been checked-my guess would be one of the diodes in the trio is bad in the alternator.On your alternator is a 2 wire plug-with the key on the gen. light should be on-now unplug the 2 wire conn. on the alt. -the light should go off. If the light goes off then that circuit is functioning correctly and the source of the light staying on while the engine running is the alternator.If the light stays ON then the brown wire in the 2 wire plug is grounded somewhere between the alt. and the bulb in the dash.If your dash is printed circuit -check the gang plug where the wires are plugged into the back of gauges.