Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

New '72 Vette Owner.. Questions!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Default New '72 Vette Owner.. Questions!?!?

I recently bought the car of my dreams. My 72 Corvette. She gorgeous, and sounds amazing when she runs. But, I have a problem. When I start it up, I have to give it gas. Meaning no matter what it won't start without my foot on the gas pedal. Also, when it does start, I have to keep my foot on the gas and let it run at about 1.5k RPMs for about 10 minutes. This is just sorta annoying and wasting a lot of gas. When I bought it, the previous owner told me to use Premium, so I do. Now I could be wrong, but could this be affecting that? The engine is a brand new 350 (only 12k miles), with the 4 speed manual transmission. I just want to be able to start the car and go, but I can't do that because it will shut off if it's not warmed up. Any ideas would be great.

^^^ I posted this in tech, but I'm reposting it here because I figure it may be better answered in this part of the forums..

I do have a question about the headlights though.. I know how to turn on the lights by pulling out the thingy.. < I know I know.. But, Only the outside lights on the light assembly is on, how do I turn the 2 inner lights on.. I figure those are the brights, and I've searched and searched, but I'm clueless.. Please! Help me get unlost.. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
pg
Default RE: New '72 Vette Owner.. Questions!?!?

Hi, it sounds like the choke is out of adjustment.
The headlight dimmer switch is under the carpet on the left side, just push down with your foot, you'll hear a click and all four head lights will go on.PG

Old 01-31-2007, 01:49 PM

Yeppers, I agree with PG. Choke is either out of adjustment, unhooked or sticking (if vacuum), or has no power (if electric).

bill.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Okay, if it's the choke.. Is this a job I can do myself pretty easy, or should I take it to someone with a little more experience.. I pretty much have no experience.. So I think I will take it to someone.. How much is this going to hurt my wallet though..? Any other suggestions/info would be great.. Thanks

Old 01-31-2007, 11:23 PM

Recently had my quad rebuilt on 68 manual, and paid $250 FOR PARTS AND LABOR.I removed and replaced which was not hard to do. Shop around, and good luck.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

It's not tough to rebuild a QuadraJet if you have the service manual (you are goin to need one anyway if you plan on doing your own work) or one of the several books written and dedicated to Qjets. Rebuild kits are probably about $30. Service manuals can be ordered from Helm. Qjet books can be found in the Auto section at Borders, etc.

Re: Premium gas-if the engine is stock and not full of carbon in the combustion chambers, it does not require premium.

Re: Hi beams-the original carpet had a vinyl pad over the dimmer switch on the upper left side of the footwell.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 AM
pg

Lets start at the beginning, you'll need a "Haynes" manual for this and future repairs.
After you get the book you'll see that the choke adjustment is not complicated, if it goes acording to the instructions it will be a quick and easy repair and you'll be able to get in and go. You will not only save $65.00 per hour but you will learn about your Vette and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Now I'm not saying every repair is easy, for me things get complicated fast, like when I worked on my choke I decided to change the choke spring, it looked easy, just one screw to remove and replace,so I put the screw drirer in the slot and geve a little turn and the screw broke, so Yada-yada it required driling and tapping. Point is you have all the help you'll ever need right here at the forum, so have at it. Good luck and welcome.PG