Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

New Air Cleaner Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Default New Air Cleaner Assembly

Dumb question of the day: My 73 has the original dual snorkel air cleaner assembly and I wanted to put on a chrome assembly instead where it's completely open. However, on the passenger side valve cover, there is a hose that leads to the lower assembly part of the existing snorkel assembly. This is not the pcv, it's just some sort of breather. Do I need to hook this up to the new chrome air filter assembly? Or....???

Thanks! Swapping the snorkel was supposed to be a 2 minute, no brainer...
I looked at all the cars on eBay for a pic of what someone else did, but they either still have the snorkel or replaced the air cleaner and the valve covers where there isn't the opening on the passenger side.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM

The air cleaner should have had a snout thing in the box and a place on the bottom to install it. That hose provides filtered air to go into the engine to replace the air that the pcv sucks out.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks partsman! Spent a lot of time Googling information about the PCV system. I found out that port on the passenger side needs to be open for PCV to draw in air (like sucking on a straw with the other end plugged). I didn't get a snout thing in the box and it looks like there are punch holes in the bottom dish of the new air cleaner. So, I'll have to "make" something to make the connection since the existing hose won't reach. I didn't know if there was just some sort of breather that goes in the hole or if it needs to be drawing air back from the air filter. I guess that coming from the air filter reducing chances of dust and dirt heading into the valves. Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Mike,
I'm pretty dang sure that Calif. would require the hose to be connected.
Unless you live in one of those pockets where smog cert. is not an issue.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 AM

Hi Starship. Definitely have to hook up that hose. Found a stem on Eckler's that will attach to the lower housing of the air cleaner assembly which does have punch-out holes:
"Corvette Air Cleaner Assembly To Valve Cover Breather Tube,
Allows Attachment Of Valve Cover Breather Tube To Air Cleaner"
Once I attach this to the housing, I can then make/find a hose to connect the existing pipe coming out of the valve cover to make the connection to the air cleaner. I'm not sure how others didn't do this when switching from the snorkel since the pcv system needs to draw air or it's like stepping on a hose. I've read about leaks and poor performance just from this simple connection (use those vapors!). There really never is a 2-minute fix is there???

Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Also need to have a flame arrestor screen on the air cleaner end. Usually look like a miniauture tea strainer screen. Keeps a backfire from igniting the crankcase.