Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

rear of car torques to the right when I gas it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: rear of car torques to the right when I gas it...

Hey Texas,
I think ya got a handle on it, def keep us up on your progress.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Thanks, Shark. One thing I hadn't asked about that your post made me thinkof and that is, what after-market companycarriesgood quality hardware for our suspensions? Any certain ones that you guys have good all-around faith in? Please let me know something when you get a chance. Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I use Ecklers. I got my complete suspension system from them.
www.ecklers.com

Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 AM

I'll look up "Ecklers" on the net. I appreciate the info.
We should be moving back to Killeen, Texas in the next month, probably sooner, so when we get there, I'll get right after it. I sure will keep you posted as I go through it. I'm going to build a nice size shop (I've been wanting one for years)to work in after we get settled in when we get back there. We are moving back into the same house we were in before. We have that one and 2 others in Killeen. (We were there 21 years prior to moving to Puerto Rico for almost 3 years.) I wanted to look for a large garage with a house attached prior to going back to Killeen, but the wife didn't appreve. LOL I just don't understand why. LOL Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Does the garage come with a detached house? You'll get less disrupting noise from the house that way.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM

There are also some folks who race C3's who can help. Check out http://www.fastcorvette.com , that's where I got my beefier front suspension.

bill.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
pg

Hi Texas Jim and welcome again, I got a copy of Corvette & Chevy trader and filled out a reader response card and got about 20 catalogs, here are some of them,
www.corvettecentral.com
www.docrebuild.com
www.mamotorworks.com
www.paddockparts.com
www.riksvet.com
This will get you started. Also, if you call General Motors at 800 222-1020 and press 4 you can get a free restoration guide, it covers most of the info that's in the owners manual and you get a list of restoration parts licensees.
When I rebuilt my trailing arms I took them to Corvetts Etc in Charlotte, they did both with new bearings, parking brakes and bushings for $ 700.00. I'm sure you can find someone in Texas that won't charge much more. PG

Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM

Texas Jim, from what I've seen of these posts you have a choice to make. You say that your car is original. The choice is do you want to keep it original? Well, as original as possible. I understand these guys here that beef up their cars but I haven't seen anyone talk about the pros and cons of changing your car from "original" to something that's not "original". If you have a numbers matching car, straight body, I think that we, as a group,should discuss the pros and cons of changing your car from that status. The thing is that once that change is made it may be permanent.
I know that this post might get some people riled so be aware that I'm a stock man. If it didn't come on it from the factory it doesn't get on it. I figure that the engineers got it pretty much right, at least for 1969. Would I like it to ride like a brand new car? Sure. But it's not a brand new car.
Lets talk about resale value of an originalCorvette as opposed to one that's been altered.Look at it this way, there aren't too many originals around out there but there are a lot of altered ones. I'm not ragging on you guys that have hopped up yours, but I think that we should advise Texas Jim on all of the things that he should think about before he does something that he may regret.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
pg

Hi mrggrm, I think your on to something there! Lets start a new polland see where it goes, I'll start it.PG.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 AM

I plan on keeping the suspension "stock." That doesn't mean that I wouldn't install better quality springs, bushings, etc. than I could get from the factory, but I wouldn't do any mods in the way of cutting or structurally altering.
I feel that the best thing to do to a car as far as keeping it stock or not is "up to the owner." If I had a 'Vette from'53 to '71,where the numbers on the engine, trans, etc. really meant something to me, I'd probably keep it as close to stock as possible, not including for example; a bushing made from a better material than the factory has available. As for my '81, since performance drive tranes didn't happen for that period, I feel that the numbers in that case aren't as important (as on the old ones) to keep. When my engine gets tired, I'll build a 383 for it,but I'll keep the original motor and store it. I put a small block chevy (350) in my '62 Ford p/u, butI kept the original 223ci engine and stored it. You should have heard the "heck" that some guys gave me about a Chevy engine ina Ford.I also had reversed-eye main leafs made for it which with leaf springs lowers the truck and installed a 9" Ford rear.(a small block Chevy is a popular thing with hot-rodding the old Ford pick-ups.)
Yes, some guys are dead set on original factory stock condition, even going as far as original bolts, etc. I respect that to the fullest, and at the same time, I have the same respect for the guys who go formodifications, drastic or mild, as long as they both are good clean well done jobs. I respect people's opinions and good craftsmanship. I personally like a sleeper-type ride. The same reason I've always liked (NHRA) the Super Stock class; A screaming andeven wheel-standing car yet still fully recognizable as the car that the factory turned out that year. But ultimately I feel thatgood craftsmanship IS the MOST important thing and what I have total respect for. Bone-stock or totally modified is that particularperson's preference and opinion which I also have total respect for. And I do think that a discussion on the pros and cons of modifications, big and small, would benefit everyone for a number of reasons.
Thanks again for the input. You guys have really given me ALOT of grerat info. I'll check fully into all of it. I thoroughly enjoy digging into new info and fully researching projects prior to jumping in. I'm a true believer in a person never being too old to learn. The more I learn about a topic, the more I realize how little I know. To me, that's one oflife's more interestingrealizations.
No, I like an attached house as I can better hear my wife call me for supper. LOL However I am always the sole-key holder. LOL As,ie: if I put a metering rod on the corner of a steel rule on my work table, I want it there when I come back in the next time. It's GOOD to be the key-holder!!! LOL

Quick Reply: rear of car torques to the right when I gas it...