Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Default rear speakers

okay, i'm in the middle of redoingthe interior and decided now is the time to repalce the rear speakers- willANY 6x9's fit the mtg holes? and do i need the special grills and brackets? thx.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Banned
Default RE: rear speakers

Yes, any 6" x 9" speakers will fit. What year C3 we talkin about? There's lots of simple upgrades to produce better sound. I found that just 6" x 9" speakers were not enough with headers and flowmaster mufflers so I added an amplifier and a speaker enclosure.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-23-2007, 04:06 AM
Banned

There are special little metal brackets for the 6" x 9"'s, they are pretty flimsy and a bit frustrating to work with but they do work. I took out the old speakers, vacuumed out the dirt and put in some fresh insulation in the speaker pockets to help with the sound quality. There are special plastic speaker covers that fit the countours of the wheel well and there are also carpeted covers available for those grills that match your interior. Again, my opinion of the plastic speaker grills is that they are pretty flimsy, just like the mounting brackets.

What kind of sound system are you planning on installing? Is your engine and exhaust modified (LOUD)? Are you upgrading the dash speakers too?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-23-2007, 08:42 AM

its a 78. right now i'm just upgrading the rear spkrs from the 6.5" thatcame with this car when i bought it and just sat back there. so i'm replacing these with6x9s, but is there a depth concern with what spkrs i can buy?any particular brands that will work?Eventually i'll replace the head unit and front spkrs sometime in the future.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:39 PM
pg

ORIGINAL: dar322

its a 78. right now i'm just upgrading the rear spkrs from the 6.5" thatcame with this car when i bought it and just sat back there. so i'm replacing these with6x9s, but is there a depth concern with what spkrs i can buy?any particular brands that will work?Eventually i'll replace the head unit and front spkrs sometime in the future.
dar322, In Nov of 03 I installed Kenwood 4 X 6 ( 60W )in the front and two 6 X 9 ( 220W ) upgrade speakers in two boxes in the rear. They were much better than the old speakers, but not great.
And I cracked the dash while I was at it.
Then in Nov of 06, I got a new dash and installed 4 new Blaupunkt sreakers. To me these are much better that the kenwoods.

DeeVeeEight, I could use an amp too. I was looking at a 60 x 60 that would just boost the rear speakers, or can you think of something better?
The radio is 230 w and it's not loud enough with chambered exhaust, tops off and high way speed, if you no what I mean. PG.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

I have a Sony Head unit with an Ipod adapter. The front dash speakers are after market units that came with the car, probably some old Kenwoods or Pioneers. I gave up on trying to get enough bass out of the 6 x 9's, the exhaust is just too loud. Pep Boys had these speaker boxes fully loaded for $59.95. I added a (Dual brand) 600W amplifier ($100) for the rear speakers. Now I get enough thump and bump to make the hair on my arms stand up.

Name:  100_2310.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  120.3 KB

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM
pg

Wow! That looks great! Bet you can hear those speakers! PG.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Banned

Thanks pg!

Yeah, I like 'em....

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
pg

DeeVeeEight, I can respect and admire the work you've put into your Vette, thats one fine looking Vette!.
For dar322, you got lots of choices. Now what do you want to do? PG.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:46 AM

I replaced the stockjuke box with a JVC unitjust after getting my '81. I also installed Sony Xplod speakers, 4" x 6"s in the front and 6" x 9"s in a good speaker boxin the rear. I run the balanceoff to the rear so I hearall the soundequally, but like it's been said, on the highway, unless it's cranked up, it's not worth listening to.
In the near future, I'm going back to the speakers in the stock position, in the corners with the original grills. I've found that with the speaker box in the only extra space available, to store the tops or/and a cooler,or even if my wife and I decide to stop by the mall or the grocery store on our way home, it's just not practacle. If my wife and I want to go out of town for the weekend, with a suitcase is bad enough, and then take the tops off for the ride?Forget about it!
I'll eventually look for some speakers that can handle a powerful amp and that I can install in the original spots. I'd love a great sounding box with alot of clear power, but it'll have to exist without taking up the only available storage space the car has.

Quick Reply: rear speakers