Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Resistor???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Default Resistor???

I need help identifying what this is. I has two black wires, one at each end, a silver core and used to be cover with what I can best describe as a toilet paper roll type paper cover, which has deteriorated and broken apart. I think it is some kind of resistor?. It is located with the rest of the wiring under the driver's side dash. Anyone..... Anyone.....

Old 04-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Default RE: Resistor???

Snookkrook, it sounds like a capacitor, probably to reduce Radio Frequency Interference in the sound system, was it an add-on or does it appear to be factory? I can't recall seeing one in my '78 and I had absolutety everything out of the interior. Can you tell what the leads hook up to?

Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 PM

It would also help to know the year of the car... I agree though, it does sound like one of those interference filters. They usually went on the negative side as a giant diode (and sometimes on the positive side too as a filter) of the stereo power. They are supposed to keep voltage from "weeping" back into the stereo through the negative lead from things with a fixed frequency feeding to body ground (like turn signals, blower fans, etc.).

bill.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 PM

Sorry, the car is a 77. I does appear factory, it looks old. It is spliced into two other wires, one white, one orange, both typically hot wires. I beleive you guys are right. Stereo works though, no white noise is heard.