Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Service rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default Service rack

Just occured ot me,......
I have 3 car trailers, so rather that build a service rack, I'm going to decommision one of my trailers and use it as a service rack. I can tilt either end to get room to get under and if I need to move it, I can put the wheels back on and it will again be portable. I'll use some of my steel I-beams to make supports for the axle hubs. The hubs will sit in a saddle to keep the trailer stable.

What cha think? Ought ta work, eh?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Service rack

Sounds like a good idea. What about elevating the axle point so that as you drive up on it, it tips down to level but is higher? Not sure if I'm making myself clear. You'd need some type of snubbers as it comes down or some type of friction brake so it wouldn't bang down.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 PM

That's one of the things I like about you Dave, your always thinkin'. Even though you appear to be asleep at the wheel the brain is in gear. Hey, one thought on the trailer/rack, can you jack it up and set the trailer frame on some steel so as not to have the trailer suspension carrying the load? I would think it would make a more stable work rack, just a thought. See ya.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

"What about elevating the axle point so that as you drive up on it, it tips down to level but is higher?"

".....set the trailer frame on some steel so as not to have the trailer suspension carrying the load?"

Yes, and yes!
Both great ideas! [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Thanks for the input.
Ya, I'm kinda thinkin' of makin' the hub supports so that they bolt on to the hubs. Prob use a couple of old rims welded to a base. On the far end, either put down jack stands ordrop down legs on each corner. Once it's all in possition, again, jack stands or another set ofdrop down legs on the near corners. I could even make thedrop down legs with pins/holes for adjustment. That way I could have it level or have either end raised for better access to that end of the car.
Hmmmm,......gears are still turnin'.

I usedto have a tilt bed trailer, years ago when I raced roundy-round. Didn't take long to figure out that if I drove on slowly, I could set the deck down nice and easy.

*gears still tunin"....*
....cut the tounge off and make it a bolt on. That way Iwouldn't trip over the dang thing when walkin' around the car.Hmmm,......that would work.

*grind, grind*
Air shocks on the loading end to get 'er up to level.
"Schmidt", this could be quite a project of I let it.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 PM

Don't burn all of them brain cells puttin' the rack together, save a few fer' the starship. We're all waitin' for ya to git back with it and entertain us with tales of big blocks and such.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

No worries there Bro. While all you guys are cruisin' around, I'm goin' stir crazy here. [&:]They say neccesity is the mother of invention, nope, desperation is.
I like ridin' my Sportster, but there ain't nuthin' like puttin' on a Vette and burnin' some serious amounts of fuel.
There isn't any fuel shortage, just ways for me to burn it. [sm=gears.gif]